Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rafezetter,

Thanks for your comments. Design might be too strong a term for the activity that took place in this instance... The different look of the 2 ends definitely distract from each other while it is standing in the open. I am hopeful it will not be so bad one it is in situ as the left side will be largely hidden in a corner while the right side will be visible.

The right hand side has a waterfall table style end, mainly because I have wanted to make something that incorporates one for a while. The left hand side was required to have whatever did the supporting offset from the edge in order to allow space for the skirting board on that side without leaving a small gap between the seat and the wall for things, keys probably, to fall down. I did think legs, like most waterfall tables are built with, would look better on the left hand side but backed away from that approach because I thought the two shelves would look odd ending at legs. With hindsight I do regret that decision but on the other hand I have actually completed a project for the first time in ages!

This is an image of the space that it will hopefully fit into and as I said I am hopeful the left hand side will not stand out once it is in its final position:
shoe-rack-walls.jpg

Cheers,
Chris

Attachments

• shoe-rack-walls.jpg
    shoe-rack-walls.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 290
Been doing some more thin-wall practice on small simple 3" bowls (bowls? Egg-cups more like. We use them for jellybeans for Calum). Also bought a cheap photobox off aliexpress a while ago that finally arrived, so I finally have nice photos of things :)

That first thin-walled piece looks much nicer now that the photo's actually in focus and well-lit :D

2020-04-22-19.41.55a.jpg

Did another to convince myself the first one wasn't a fluke.

IMG_4330a.jpg

Then talked myself into trying a 6" blank, with some colour stain and gilt cream.

IMG_4339a.jpg

This... did not go so well. Jumped off the lathe at my face and scared me and I chickened out of properly finishing the cut so it was thick and chunky and just messy looking. It annoyed me so much I took it back to the lathe the next day and did it right.

IMG_4346a.jpg

IMG_4348a.jpg

I'm starting to see why people like this woodturning thing, it's so fast to go from timber to finished piece.

On the other hand, I also stuck my little finger into the buttons on a cole jaw yesterday* so while it's not as bad as the router, it's still mean and scary and bitey and throws things at my face. Maybe one of these days I'll get a bigger shed and make a pole lathe so it'll fit in nicely with all the hand tools :)

* Nothing's broken but my manicure is ruined lads

Coming on Mark. (hammer)
You know that pole latches actually thrive in an outdoor environment right? They love the camping life and are never happier than when being pumped hard by a man with bulging thighs and strong arms under canvas. It makes them spin.
Keeping them indoors makes Hazel and Ash sad and brittle. Poor loves.
Google lorry canvas. Buy a bowsaw, length of threaded rod an old bill hook and you're practically a bodger already.
Next step. Convincing the Mrs it's a google mistake this lorry canvas is a misdelivery but what with the lockdown they said just keep it.....
Little steps mate. Sacrifice the odd soldier for strategic longterm victory.
That's how the battle of my shed was won.
When we moved here it was a 'summerhouse'. Then it was 'well some stuff needs to be stored in there!'
These days she stops at the door like vampire.
Play the long game. :D

Auricula theatre made from some left over green oak planks that had been air drying for the past 3 years. Back and roof from western cedar. Put the planer (Charnwood W590) through it's paces :D

HCtFsGc.jpg

HZzLorS.jpg

7JJzNAl.jpg

A bit of silliness: I was asked by my best beloved to make an exercise box. Not having a clue what one of those was, I had to look it up. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vobor-Multi-fu ... ljaz10cnVl

£169.79 flat packed, with free delivery! I happened to have some 18mm ply, so copied the design, glued instead of screwed, and Bob's your uncle.

IMG_20200503_130816.jpg

I only posted this because it used about a quarter of a sheet of ply - say €20 plus glue and sandpaper. If people with more money than sense are paying £170 for a flat packed plywood box, then perhaps there is some mileage in it as a business for someone - lots of profit margin, it would seem.

It also makes an excellent foot-stool in between workout sessions, and if you turn it upside down it is a useful pot to put things in. The only oddity is that the handles are close to the closed top, rather than the open bottom (as it is in the photo, that is).

It is astonishingly sturdy - tested to 200kg without issue. Hopefully it will withstand the wife's circuit training enthusiasm. It's for jumping up and down on, doing backwards press-ups and other insanities. I go to the workshop while she does her "leaping about" as it's referred to in the family; it's safer, frankly.

Attachments

• IMG_20200503_130816.jpg
    IMG_20200503_130816.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 136
Finished the prototype for my forthcoming office furniture build.

170677259.jpg

This one will ultimately end up in the workshop - so little sanding and no finish.

Isolation Turning practice projects
5" Bowl, from oak and mahogany, from self made blank lamination

IMG_20200402_185049.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200402_185049.jpg
    IMG_20200402_185049.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 435
Isolation Turning practice projects
8.5" Bowl, from oak and mahogany, from self made blank lamination

Attachments

• IMG_20200503_180320.jpg
    IMG_20200503_180320.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 367
Trainee neophyte":1mr3lre4 said:
A bit of silliness: I was asked by my best beloved to make an exercise box........

Just tidy up the hand hole a little, TN, and that's a fine piece of work. It is harder than people think to make a tidy ply box, so well done to you.

Many moons ago I sold some furniture through Liberties, London, and on one visit to the showroom I saw a ply box on sale for over £200. Now, remember this was the 1980, so that's worth squillions these days. It was nicely made, obviously all done on a machine, and I couldn't think of anything more boring than turning those out day after day, so I didn't offer to undercut their supplier.

A spice rack in Oak for my son in 'Lockdown London;

IMG_4528.jpg

The first attempt was a miserable failure (shelves too narrow :D ) and had Bog Oak wedges. The second attempt was better and fitted with Holly wedges. Also included in the package were a few trinkets...

IMG_4530.jpg

...from the 'Dark Side' :D - Rob

Attachments

• IMG_4528.jpg
    IMG_4528.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_4530.jpg
    IMG_4530.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 377
MikeG.":1rwko9kw said:
Trainee neophyte":1rwko9kw said:
A bit of silliness: I was asked by my best beloved to make an exercise box........

Just tidy up the hand hole a little, TN, and that's a fine piece of work. It is harder than people think to make a tidy ply box, so well done to you.

Many moons ago I sold some furniture through Liberties, London, and on one visit to the showroom I saw a ply box on sale for over £200. Now, remember this was the 1980, so that's worth squillions these days. It was nicely made, obviously all done on a machine, and I couldn't think of anything more boring than turning those out day after day, so I didn't offer to undercut their supplier.

Quite agree about the hand holes - but the user has reported that they are very grippy, and therefore good. A cunning design feature, it would seem. It was interesting to put my new-found approach to work - not being entirely agricultural, that is. I learned that I should have the courage of my convictions: sneaking up on every joint just takes forever to sort out, and has the opportunity to lash it up, on every joint. The next one I make, however...

woodbloke66":37g24ayh said:
A spice rack in Oak for my son in 'Lockdown London;

The first attempt was a miserable failure (shelves too narrow :D ) and had Bog Oak wedges. The second attempt was better and fitted with Holly wedges. Also included in the package were a few trinkets...

...from the 'Dark Side' :D - Rob
Very nice, but 15 spices? Do you get the bible and the complete works of Shakespeare thrown in?

MikeG.":xiu884b3 said:
That looks great Ben. Have you got something restraining it from falling forward?
Yes indeed Mike, there is a little oak arm that reaches out from the middle of the back, fixed to the wall with a stainless steel bracket. No way would it stay upright in the windy weather otherwise!

Thanks all for the comments :)

Back