Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doris":1jgb0iol said:
A Dove I carved. The body is made from lime and the wings tulip. Mounted onto a Oak base I also made.

Excellent work (as always), in particular the base really compliments the piece. All too often high quality work is let down by a clunky plinth or base. So congratulations on the carving and the base!

=D>

custard":33g0ni73 said:
All too often high quality work is let down by a clunky plinth or base.
Ever been to a model engineering exhibition? :lol:

The engineering is pretty much always gorgeous, but I've seen 3/4" plywood (with varnish 'n' drips finish), and
labels that were dymo'd, and not even applied straight. Bizarre!

BugBear

custard":1ruotgyl said:
Doris":1ruotgyl said:
A Dove I carved. The body is made from lime and the wings tulip. Mounted onto a Oak base I also made.

Excellent work (as always), in particular the base really compliments the piece. All too often high quality work is let down by a clunky plinth or base. So congratulations on the carving and the base!

=D>

Why thank you. It's out of an old oak fence post someone gave me year ago. I've been using it for bases mostly. Think the rod that the bird sits on (or is up his bum) came from a printer.

ScaredyCat":631trego said:
If an effort to understand wood grain more I made a cutting board. No electricity was used (by me) in the making of this board :) wood came from eBay seller as offcuts all varying heights etc. I laminated them and, rather than cut the individual pieces to be the same height I just planed them down after the glue had dried. I generated a bucket load of shavings in the process. Oddly from the pictures the edges don't look straight, but they are.

board1.jpg

board2.jpg

Hi SC,
As I'm new to all this can you tell me what wood you used on this? I presume they are all hardwood.
I saw an Aussie on Youtube making one and thought it would be something I could start on but his wood was all from Australia.
Thanks
Rob

Finally finished this.
_MG_6053.jpeg

I tried attaching legs to the top using what I think is the method used by Hank Gilpin in another thread here, hopefully enough room for expansion in the holes for the screw.
_MG_6054.jpeg

The table's pretty small, more of a foot stool than the coffee table it started as! But I learned lots from it and the next one's bigger, if I ever get the surface sorted.

Attachments

• _MG_6053.jpeg
    _MG_6053.jpeg
    28.5 KB · Views: 244
  • _MG_6054.jpeg
    _MG_6054.jpeg
    33.5 KB · Views: 244
Thank you! If you look closer than the photo allows you'll see the evidence of the struggles made along the way, but overall I'm pleased with it and hopefully I'll be better at the making next time.
The design's based on de Stijl furniture which I'm trying to take my own way. And not expecting to run before I can walk, if I can get the skills right i'd love to market some in future - we'll see!

Rob B":3nzfxo5k said:
ScaredyCat":3nzfxo5k said:
If an effort to understand wood grain more I made a cutting board. No electricity was used (by me) in the making of this board :) wood came from eBay seller as offcuts all varying heights etc. I laminated them and, rather than cut the individual pieces to be the same height I just planed them down after the glue had dried. I generated a bucket load of shavings in the process. Oddly from the pictures the edges don't look straight, but they are.

board1.jpg

board2.jpg

Hi SC,
As I'm new to all this can you tell me what wood you used on this? I presume they are all hardwood.
I saw an Aussie on Youtube making one and thought it would be something I could start on but his wood was all from Australia.
Thanks
Rob

Rob, I'm new to this too :) Yes it's all hardwood.

Left to right:

Oak
Maple
Steamed beech
Ash
Sapale
Maple
Walnut
Maple

That should allow you to work out the pattern :)

Sorry about the bitty reply, using my phone to reply, it's a bit awkward.

Chris152":2aekbfls said:
Finally finished this.

I tried attaching legs to the top using what I think is the method used by Hank Gilpin in another thread here, hopefully enough room for expansion in the holes for the screw.

The table's pretty small, more of a foot stool than the coffee table it started as! But I learned lots from it and the next one's bigger, if I ever get the surface sorted.

Oh I like that. Not really my thing usually but it certainly caught my eye.

Not sure this should even be in the 'woodworking' section, but...

100_9878.jpg

However, I do have a question ...

It's quarter-sawn oak - but what are the very light-coloured patches in the grain? What's going on inside the tree there?

Ahaaa, I'd seen the word 'medullary' on here before, but Essex boy & a four syllable word, you're asking a lot really. :-D

Blank wall in the kitchen needed some 'wall art'. Just need to figure out how to hang them. Sawtooth hangers maybe?

100_9919a.jpg

Stick is 25'' long.

Oh yeah, and it's all pallet wood, sorry. :p

Back