Porsche

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vulcan

Established Member
Reaction score
IMG-8960.jpg

Did they choose the colour to put buyers off!? 😆 🍺

I looked an electric Porsche a few years back, great car and fit all my needs, but it had a 2.5yr estimated waiting list. Who can know it'll still be the correct car that far in the future! The Macan has always been the fugly Porsche, and in that colour it's even worse.

It is only a Porsche badge, to many people a true Porsche is a sleek two door sports car in keeping with Ferdinands concept and not some big bloated blob. Both Ferdinand and Lyons will be looking down in horror at the big bulky cars now being made, how the F pace can have the Jaguar badge who knows, there is nothing sleek about them. I suppose due to the high levels of obesity many would no longer fit into say an early E type or even the S type so as people have expanded so have the cars.

Not sure you could call all historical jags sleek - MKVII for example - lumbering old bus might be more accurate!

I drove a V12 E Type on several occasions. I thought it was one of the ugliest cars put on the road, and it was an absolute pig to drive - as long as you kept it in a dead staraight line, fine, but the sight of a corner was brown trouser time.

I drove a V12 E Type on several occasions. I thought it was one of the ugliest cars put on the road, and it was an absolute pig to drive - as long as you kept it in a dead staraight line, fine, but the sight of a corner was brown trouser time.
The same has been said of many cars, including the Austin Healeys, AC Cobras...

I looked an electric Porsche a few years back, great car and fit all my needs, but it had a 2.5yr estimated waiting list. Who can know it'll still be the correct car that far in the future! The Macan has always been the fugly Porsche, and in that colour it's even worse.
Nah, the macan is a good looker. The panamera is the problem child in that department, especially the gen 1.
In terms of being the right choice 2.5yrs later; the taycan is one of the worst depreciating cars on the market....BUT, if you can put that aside then it's a proper weapon on both road and track, and possibly one of the best all rounders available.

Martin

A friend of mine has a Porsche Cayenne probably ~15years old.

The principal impression is the quality of engineering. In every other respect - either unnecessary, unusable or both. The brand has bragging rights - but would I buy one (funds permitting) - no.

New - outrageously expensive for its largely unusable performance. Second hand - still expensive with the most trivial faults potentially presenting owners with a bill for many £000's.

With more workaday budgets (say £15-30k) there are far better options which largely deliver the performance, a comparable level of gizmos, in warranty, at a lower cost.

It is a reflection of how cars have moved on over the last 10-15 years - cruise control, DAB, collision avoidance, lighting, hybrid technology, climate control, cameras, sat nav etc etc. What was leading edge 10 years ago is the norm for mid range family SUVs.

I agree that the Porsche SUVs are an acquired taste. I believe that Porsche was going through a period of slow sales and that the introduction of the Cayenne reversed the trend and sales increased significantly for them. The ‘sleek two-door sports car’ is still the epitome of Porsche and, despite its many ‘improvements’ over the years, the 911 is still relatively unchanged and still recognisable as being of the same family as the very early 356. They are still a fabulous place to sit and the drive is stunning.

I agree that the Porsche SUVs are an acquired taste. I believe that Porsche was going through a period of slow sales and that the introduction of the Cayenne reversed the trend and sales increased significantly for them. The ‘sleek two-door sports car’ is still the epitome of Porsche and, despite its many ‘improvements’ over the years, the 911 is still relatively unchanged and still recognisable as being of the same family as the very early 356. They are still a fabulous place to sit and the drive is stunning.
Porsche basically invented the premium SUV segment with the cayenne. They were the first of the sports car brands to jump on board and everybody laughed their socks off. 20 years later and they all have egg in their face as they follow suit: Aston, Bentley, jaguar, Lamborghini, Ferrari even have one on the way too.

As a car nut and driving purist I have found the concept fairly abhorrent but I have also discovered over the years the best way to deal with it... These brands are making 50% of their profits making SUVs now, that gives them more cash to spend on developing proper sports cars, and it isn't actually compromising the quality of their core products.

So if you want a sporty SUV, buy one.
If you want to continue enjoying their purist driving cars, buy one.

But either way there is no point getting offended by what other people are buying, and the sports car brands are simply feeding the demand in the market in order to make money and not get left behind. They are a business after all.

Ultimately, nobody loses, we can all continue to have what we want 🙂

Martin

The best E type was the straight six 3.8 and fitted with three twin chokes it really could go, plus in these days cars had to be tamed.

The series 1 3.8 was beautiful as was the series 2 but the V12 2+2 was odd-looking with such an upright windscreen……and the steel wheels were a poor replacement for the wire wheels. My brother in law rebuilt a primrose yellow series 2 with a 4.2 straight six. Perfect

IMG-8960.jpg

Did they choose the colour to put buyers off!? 😆 🍺

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Porsche have a terrific reputation for appreciating in value. The main problem with holding value is that the car is electric, and we know that it is built around a battery, which is unknown techology. The colour is actually an asset since value is driven by rareness, and there will likely be fewer of that colour made.

All IC Porsches eventually climb above their original cost price. Try and find a cheap 911! Look at what a 356 now costs! I wish I could have kept mine (1957 355A) ...

I still own and drive a 2002 Boxster S. They can had quite cheaply now, but are beginning to climb in price .. so you are warned!

Regards from Perth

Derek

The older Porsche 911's are an appreciating asset, I sold mine for for four times what I paid for it, that 1974 model now fetch's over £1000.00 according to condition, should never have sold it, only car that can come close to the fun value was my old Lotus Elan would out corner the Porsche, but would loose out in a straight line big time.

Yep, both Porsche and lotus hold their value like a boss. I ran an Elise for a few years and didn't lose a penny 🙂... pretty much the same with my boxster. The key is not to buy them new and not to buy one with batteries 😅

I know somebody with a taycan and another guy with a gt3 RS... Value on them both is doing the exact opposite to one another 😄

It amazes me just how popular SUVs are in the market. From my POV they are almost all incredibly ugly, and best summed up as "like a car, but worse in every measurable way".
Yes it's interesting isn't it.

I think it comes down to differing knowledge levels giving the different perspectives. As an engineer I just see extra mass without extra useable volume... compare for example ford focus and ford Kuga, pretty much built on same platform but the kuga is made to 'look' bigger but actually isn't in reality. But it is heavier and so slower and less fuel efficient, higher centre of gravity so handles worse, and arguably looks worse if your aesthetic preferences are built around function followed by form, and not the other way round.

I think your techy minded types will see the inefficiency and find the shape unattractive for that reason, and others just see it as 'bigger' therefore more car for your money 🙂

Martin

Back