Popular Woodworking Mag

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking at this book too.
I bought the magazines on CD a while ago, but its not the same reading them on screen as it is in the flesh.
Its not a limited edition is it?

Matt, I believe it is a limited press run. Apparently the have sold out half of their allocation with no plans to re-print, this is why I moved quickly and ordered when I heard this info (from Chris Schwarz).

My copy of the August edition of Pop Wood arrived this morning, along with a nice pressie from BugBear. Thanks mate. :D

ByronBlack":2wr7n5xq said:
This is all quite concerning. Has anyone ordered the hardback version of Chris Schwarz' Woodworking Magazine compendium? I'm hoping it will not suffer from the same international delivery issues as Ive just placed an order.
Sod, sod sod! I had a problem with the August issue of PW that was only resolved when I e-mailed them but I thought it was a one off. Still waiting for Octobers issue. I ordered that book on the 31st of August and assumed that it would be sent surface mail so was going to wait 5-6weeks. I suppose I had better e-mail them again about both things. What is a bit irksome is that I ordered the SS edge plane from Lee-valley and had the tool in hand in less than 2 weeks so given the extra cost of subscription to PW for international subscriptions why the problem?

For reference I have just received the August 2007 of PWW in the post. They had already sent it to me via airmail fairly quickly after I notified them of not having it. Wonder what the problem is?
PS anyone missing this one if you contact me I will post it to you- no point in having two. OK its gone.

Byron, I contacted them through the PWW website... Customer service, How can I contact them (FAQ) , missed issue etcetera. I have had an automatic confirmation of them receiving the enquiry. Did it on Saturday so wasn't expecting anything just yet. I had the same feeling re shipping - not charged/they offered free shipping and if it was a problem they would contact me. So wait and see on both points. Had a missed issue problem with FWW on the last one so it could be general shipping problem?
PS I will stump up the cost of the stamp if anyone wants that spare Aug 2007 PWW. OK Aled has it

ByronBlack":3s93jsns said:
Geoff, which email address did you use to chase them up? And secondly, did you get a response on the book?
Byron had a response re PWW and they are going to send the Oct 2007 and they are extending my subscription by a month so can't say they aren't trying. With respect to the book I was told to ring (USA) 1-715 445 4612 and ask for the 'Consumer Department' -they were unsure what this was- and got a lady who tracked it down. That order id number I got on the confirmatory email was not much help. I ordered the book on the 31st of August and it was shipped on the 17th September so I will give it another week or two as I know that the US postal service can be very slow - makes the one over here look good.
PS rang up using Skype as it only costs 1.5p a minute

I think the compilation book is very interesting.

Delighted to say that two of my articles articles are in it ...

Do hope those who have ordered will get theirs.

best wishes,
David

there's a cd of the 2006 issues. So wait half a year and you have them all on a cd :D I asked Christopher for an e-version of WM and it's already here.
I think "the future" is just a little bit late, next year.

Geoff, thanks the update. I'll send chris Schwarz a return email and quite about the shipping as i'm a little concerned that I didn't get charged for it, and i can't see a company providing free international shipping. David, pleased to know you have a couple of articles in the book - on what subject are they (just out of curiosity?)

First, my apologies for taking so long to jump in here, and for the delay in deliveries. We've been having problems with our contractor that handles UK deliveries.

If you haven't received the October 2007 issue (or August, cringe), please immediately e-mail Megan Fitzpatrick, my sharp-tongued managing editor, at [email protected]. She will get you any missing copies sent you via airmail immediately.

Apologies. I'm working on a solution.

Chris Schwarz,
editor of the fish-wrapping publication in question.

ByronBlack":3slz7o7g said:
Geoff, thanks the update. I'll send chris Schwarz a return email and enquire about the shipping as i'm a little concerned that I didn't get charged for it, and i can't see a company providing free international shipping. David, pleased to know you have a couple of articles in the book - on what subject are they (just out of curiosity?)

Byron,

Plane blade sharpening and the ruler trick. Chris and Rob Cosman appreciate this technique even if many traditionalists do not....

Method for honing a cambered plane blade and its uses in squaring the edges.

Best wishes,
David

PS when the October issue of PW arrives, there is a new article on how to take a set of shavings with a cambered blade so you don't loose the overall flattness of width from the machine! (On the cover ;-) ).

Hollowing of length and width plus removal of wind.

Chris has labelled this "Precision Planing, after machining, get your boards dead flat". Not a subject discussed very often, if at all!

This stirred up quite a controversy on Woodnet forum a few weeks ago.

Mind you not half as much controversy and abuse as evolved on a Knots thread jointer plane question L-N .........
best wishes,
David Charlesworth

David C":1cjxk7fh said:
Mind you not half as much controversy and abuse as evolved on a Knots thread jointer plane question L-N .........

David,
I saw you got the "rough end of the pineapple" in that discussion - very rude. There is a big difference between vigorous debate and being obnoxious. I hope that doesn't put you off posting on other forums and, even though I was not involved in that discussion (too bloody scared), I feel I should apologise to you for some of the comments aimed your way. I personally find it uncomfortable that someone has taken that type of attack and not got an apology from someone. There is no point in me doing this on that forum as I couldn't be bothered with the ensuing bunfight that that would instigate. Anyway have a good day. Geoff.

Latest posts

Back