Planer thicknesses smoothness as sandpaper grit level?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
custard":3i2f5y5u said:
Any surface texture is always way more obvious with a finish than in the white.
So a full varnish job or French polishing makes along-the-grain sanding scratches more visible, is that your assertion? :?

ED65":2be5py70 said:
custard":2be5py70 said:
Any surface texture is always way more obvious with a finish than in the white.
So a full varnish job or French polishing makes along-the-grain sanding scratches more visible, is that your assertion? :?

The subject being discussed is the ridges/scalloping texture left by hand planing, not with grain scratches, and hand planing texture is more visible when a finish has been applied.

I have a Seppach hms1070 which gives a good initial finish. I then use 80 grit on a belt sander to get it even, 120 grit with an orbital sander to get a good finish and 240 grit by hand to get smooth to the touch. Of course a gentle sweep with 00 or 000 wire wool between coats when using a fiishing oil. The end result is great but cannot be rushed.

Hi, first post from a newbie, I have nearly always left the surface straight from my smoothing plane I find that when it's done properly it has a shine to it which is lost as soon as abrasives are used . Abrasives are just that abrasive, they work by scratching ,even when using smooth papers the finish will be dull. It's a bit like comparing a pane of glass to one that has been sandblasted/frosted. Ian

bugbear":o4i0qnc3 said:
ED65":o4i0qnc3 said:
Not the YouTube is all bad of course, it's just that as with anywhere like that the quality is all over the map and it's likely that most of it is bad (Sturgeon's Law).

Sturgeon's Law applies on here too...

BugBear

Should we have a referendum? :wink:

whiskywill":2b6gws1r said:
bugbear":2b6gws1r said:
ED65":2b6gws1r said:
Not the YouTube is all bad of course, it's just that as with anywhere like that the quality is all over the map and it's likely that most of it is bad (Sturgeon's Law).

Sturgeon's Law applies on here too...

BugBear

Should we have a referendum? :wink:

Sturgeon's Law definitely applies to voters. :( :D

BugBear

Back