Planer Knives

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy RV

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just bought some replacement knives for my P/T in HSS, when I took them out of their wrapping I was expecting a nice keen edge however they were anything but, is it normal for planer blades to come 'blunt'? 5 minutes with an oil stone got them to a sharp edge but it's not what I expected i'd have to do...

Over all the machining looks good and they were what I'd call a good price, £20 for a pair 410mm long delivered so maybe I expected too much for the price?

Planer blade sharpening is a bit of a misnomer. Planer blade grinding is more accurate. If you want them actually sharp you do have to fettle them. I've had this discussion with so-called "precision grinders" in the past. If they come back straight and un-nicked, then that is all you can expect from the grinding process You do have to hone them yourself.
Which gives me an excellent opportunity to plug one of my online videos! :)
http://blip.tv/workshopessentialscom/ho ... es-2660593
S

Steve.
I don't want to hijack this thread but I was interested in seeing your video and followed your link. Why have you got your video on Blip and not Youtube? having tried to watch it it buffers every 5 seconds and is un watchable this may be my computer but youtube videos are fine.

It's a good question. At the time I made it, YT vids were restricted to 10 minutes. No such restriction on Blip. It shouldn't buffer, but I have just had a look and I get it buffering too, so maybe they have a problem with their servers. I just assumed that it was because my internet access is a smartphone rather than broadband at the moment. It's a poor substitute.
S

Back