Plane and Chisel Sharpening System

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try a cheap Eclipse clone for a fiver to start with.
Charlesworth uses the Eclipse for what its worth.
Look on the hand tools section for last weeks thread about honing setup.
(ITS Ultex hones still on offer)

You should probably read this thread and spend your money on things you actually need, rather than gadgets.
Not that you would need everything referred within this thread, but you will see obvious things you will need and should be looking out for deals.
how-much-does-woodworking-cost-t106958.html

Best value basic layout tools new I've seen recently...
Axminster SOBA engineers square for less than a tenner
Long stainless 40" ruler for less than a tenner in Homebase
A few eBay planes with thick soles
I'd like a Titemark gauge, I have a clone that's hard to set up, but maybe more dependable having two lock down screws, than the new adjustable Veritas one I have with the wobbly cutter on the end if you extend it, so you have to lock it down.
It will move if you are wanting to use it as a cutting gauge, as it only has a single lock screw.
These are none the less super nice to use compared to a warped or damaged marking gauge.
I like having a calipers like this one
https://www.ie.screwfix.com/magnusson-v ... C2SFw80STz
That the tools I would be looking to have if I was looking to get planing
And I would want a long reach angle poise lamp which I need to buy for myself when I can find another
I'd even make my own from old aluminium TV antennas if I could only buy the springs.
Either way I can't find any :(

Ttrees":1j2yulbo said:
I'd like a Titemark gauge, I have a clone that's hard to set up, but maybe more dependable having two lock down screws, than the new adjustable Veritas one I have with the wobbly cutter on the end if you extend it, so you have to lock it down.
It will move if you are wanting to use it as a cutting gauge, as it only has a single lock screw.
These are none the less super nice to use compared to a warped or damaged marking gauge.
I'd highly recommend old fashioned wooden marking and cutting gauges. I've got several of each a pleasure to use and very reliable. Also very cheap even when new. You need several so that you can leave them set for a job incase you need to go back to them.
You can get job lots of them on ebay for next to nothing. The mahogany and brass ones look nice but the cheaper boxwood/beech versions work just as well. Avoid ones with wedges they can be a PITA.
PS I can't quite see the point of the expensive metal alternatives - they aren't as nice to use and they don't solve any problems, they just look as though they might be more precise, but they are not.

Anthony Salisbury":18r0b3c8 said:
So a good starter...a set of diamond stones with a horning guide....most point to the veritas mk2....and then the diamond stones....and good examples brands sets? There seem to be loads and I don't fancy buying some duff ones.

Ant
I used to use a set of the DMT stones a few years ago which I found pretty good but there are other reputable brands around now which are just as good. Diamond stones cut very coarsely until they 'bed' in after a while. You can, I think, use them dry but I always used a quick squirt of WD40 or a drop of paraffin as a lube - Rob

I also use DMT stones, no complaints. I use them with a bit of window cleaner spray for lube (cleans up easily).

My favourite marking gauge is an old wooden marples off eBay, but there's a lot of junk on there too.

Anthony, if you want to throw money at the problem there's almost no limit to what you can spend on sharpening stuff. There's no need to even look at a Veritas jig, good bit of kit though it is. Similarly DMT plates are at the expensive end of the market when it comes to diamond plates. As for the Tormeks, even some pros balk at the price of them (as well as their consumables and jigs/add-ons) which tells you something.

Many of the issues for the beginner, and numerous cheaper alternatives, were just explored at too-great length in this thread in Hand Tools, topic119590.html begun on the 11th.

Quick précis: you can set yourself up with complete, and permanent, solution for around the £50 mark (grinder included), which is less than some of the jigs for a Tormek cost. This is buying everything new. Taking advantage of the secondhand market you could likely do it for 30 quid or less in most parts of the UK.

Back