Tormek T4 v Tormek T8

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilson joinery

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I managed to save up some money to buy one of the above. Do any of you have either and what do you think of them? Will primarily be used for sharpening chisels and planer blades. I’ve tried using cheaper jigs and also the veristas narrow blade sharpening jig and have not had great results with either. So I’m hoping this purchase will make my lack of skill with hand sharpening a thing of the past. The T8 has a more powerful motor but other than that are there any major differences? Or would any of you recommend a cheaper/different alternative to the Tormek system?

Thanks in advance
Pete

Personally I cannot see a difference between any of these grinding wheel type sharpeners. Be that the Tormek, Record power, Jet, Rutlands et all.

The Tormek has the highest price, and i suppose for longevity thats going to last longest if its going to get intensive use by multiple people. We had one at college, though i suspect as above thats because 2 classes of 20 people were using it on a daily basis, and the college picked what was likely to last longest under those intensive conditions.

If it was just me, myself and I, I would probably go for something like Record power. Its the same slow spinning wheel drip fed with water and a tool rest above as any other. I'd possibly check to see which size(8" or 10") takes the diamond wheel, as thats unaffected by water, as in it cannot be damaged by accidentally being left submerged, will last considerably longer and produce a finer edge off the bat.
So maybe a cheaper machine, along with a diamond wheel that equates to the same money as the basic tormek, would be the more cost effective option.

Hi Pete
I have a very lightly used T7 which I'm thinking of selling, it's in excellent condition, stainless steel shaft and the original wheel I don't think I ever used ( will have to check that ), as I have a spare softer wheel which if I remember I put straight on. I'm near Morpeth Northumberland and will send you a pm with my email address so if you're interested just send me an email and I'll list the details and take some photos.
Bob

Sorry lons, not sure how to do a PM!
Hover the cursor over his username and then click on "Start conversation".

Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 6.52.09 PM.png

Thanks to you all for your help. All of the comments and feedback I’ve received for any questions I’ve asked have always been tremendous. Great to have such a knowledgeable community on here :)

Back