Perhaps a slightly controversial turning question...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshvegas

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning, the easily offended might want to look away now...

I have inherited a Myford ML8 complete with planetary weight original cabinet and some serious gouges etc (some made from old files to add a little frisson to the danger danger)

Its nice, it has familial connections, I can probably make room for it, especially if I can get hold of a bandsaw attachemnt for space efficeny etc.

I have a few handles etc that i need to make for chisels etc

but heres the thing I don't really like "turned nick nacks" there, I said it, to be fair what I actually don't like in nicknacks in general and this is absolutely personal preference, I can see the work and skill taken in a beautifully turned box etc, I just don't want a thousand of the things in the house!

so...

other than building alot of chairs...

what else can be turned?

Potpourri holders
Candle holders - t-lights
Candle holders - big or long candles
Salt & pepper (manual or with mechanism)
Snowmen
Xmas tree decorations

All the above make good pressies :)

Have a look at the website "Turning for profit"

I have inherited a Myford ML8 complete with planetary weight original cabinet and some serious gouges etc (some made from old files to add a little frisson to the danger danger)

Its nice, it has familial connections, I can probably make room for it, especially if I can get hold of a bandsaw attachemnt for space efficeny etc.

but heres the thing I don't really like "turned nick nacks" there, I said it, to be fair what I actually don't like in nicknacks in general and this is absolutely personal preference, I can see the work and skill taken in a beautifully turned box etc, I just don't want a thousand of the things in the house!

so...

what else can be turned?
Gee, you are SO right
Herself has often said - " useful and beautiful "
Have a look at my post " Twisted"
I regard turning as an adjunct to producing something which IS of use, and value to the way we enjoy our life.
Rather than being " upset" at your comments - I find them refreshing.
Good on you.

Having once seen a video on why not to use a file as a chisel (if it has a good handle knock it off it will come in useful) so whenever I come across one it goes straight to metal recycling at the local dump, you seem to be aware of the dangers so it's up to you.
You can fit a buffing wheel, grindstone as well.

Potpourri holders
Candle holders - t-lights
Candle holders - big or long candles
Salt & pepper (manual or with mechanism)
Snowmen
Xmas tree decorations

All the above make good pressies :)

Have a look at the website "Turning for profit"
These are just nick nacks.
If you want to turn for profit, get a repetition lathe and make many more nick nacks for people who like that sort of stuff.
Golly, the Chinese squirt these out of plastics for 50 pence - so why bother.

Someone in Aus once said " find something that is done poorly, and do it better "
The same applies to all " crafts "

so...

what else can be turned?
I'm much the same...

Turned a few handles, couple of rolling pins before last Christmas.

But I cannot get into it.
Even got a magazine subscription which I hardly read.

Give me some good dovetails!

what else can be turned?
Table legs.
I agree about the knick knacks. You don't need many urns even if you do call them "hollow forms" :LOL:
Kitchen stuff is good. Wooden bowls are really handy and seem to last forever. I've got one my dad made must be 70 years ago, walnut, still in use as a salad bowl. And round bread boards, plates etc. though rectangular shapes do it better.
Indian clubs are good for keep fit maniacs, and light wooden dumbbells.
Then of course there's always a need for handles, furniture knobs, pegs for coat racks etc

Last edited:
I love it - my 50th birthday present was a good lathe...
pens, bowls, candlesticks, bottle openers, salad servers, herb cutters, letter openers, honey drizzlers, ice cream scoops, pizza cutters, anything that takes a cylindrical handle!

I love seeing the finished article come out of a rough lump of wood - it is like magic!
still enjoy other things as well in the workshop!

And mallets... and pens plus the lathe gets used for turning up adapters etc from wood and plastics oh also brass and aluminium occasionally but if it doesn't warrant space in your workshop and you won't use it then sell it on to someone who'll appreciate it.

If you've got the room, and it's working I bet you'll find a lot of things to make beside the usual dust gatherers.
I much prefer making useful things rather than ornamental, so my list would include: two adjustable lamps complete with shades, parts to repair an old spinning wheel, adaptor for bandsaw extraction port, new handle for a spade, Pelham puppets style horse marionette, niddy noddy for spinning wool, mandrels to help a neighbour align parts to be welded, new handles for levers on a wheelchair, needleholders for felting needles, and a footstool.
That's just off the top of my head so I'm sure there are many more

Starting with firewood is a good start. Just allow that some will fail and you need to leave the good ones aside to season. Have a look at segmented turning. It's a great way to use up scraps - a good miter saw is essential as well as a touch of OCD. :rolleyes:

You do not have to fill your house with knick-knacks. Enjoy the process of making them, then either sell them, or give them away.
If you get no enjoyment from turning, sell the lathe to someone who will.
D.

I originally installed a lathe in my workshop because I needed turned components for the pieces I was producing. This meant I didn't have to farm the work out. Over the years, pieces made, have included - table and chair legs, newels, stair spindles, finials, patterae. bun-feet, arched mouldings, knobs and handles, dowels. formers for metal bending, shaker-pegs, tuning -pegs, wooden tubes, etc etc.. It is amazing just how many useful things are produced on a lathe.

It took me well over 20 years before I got round to turning my first bowl - though I much prefer useable, rather than purely decorative ones. I'm not against the odd knick-knack or two, but, for me, a lathe is a means to an end. There are plenty of useful items that can be made, but, if knick-knacks is your 'thing', then why not?

but, if knick-knacks is your 'thing', then why not?
I completely agree, i'm certainly not knocking anyone who enjoys it.

Just looking for some inspiration, because googling projects does rather result in mostly trinkets and sifting through is difficult.

perhaps i need to move house so i can get a staircase to furnish...

Turned practical items are often called treen. In addition to those items already mentioned, that should help with your search for ideas.

The local wood turning club I once belonged to used to put on demonstrations. One guy made offset Queen Anne legs which would be useful if make small tables etc. I once made a pair of large ones for a friend in pine by glueing some 4” x 2” together and turning it offset into legs.
Regards,
Dave

so...

what else can be turned?
A dibber
A priest.
A knob
A skittle
A rolling pin

You do not have to fill your house with knick-knacks. Enjoy the process of making them, then either sell them, or give them away.
If you get no enjoyment from turning, sell the lathe to someone who will.
D.
Wow
Just give your Knick - knack to someone else who does not really want them ?

what else can be turned?
I turn Easter eggs and toys and give them away. These are only two ideas from scores.
1664266709413.png
1664266746402.png

Martin

Back