Pen turners please read - UKW mini competition!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my effort, A Harvest festival Fountain pen kit from Timberbits.

10 Coats of CA burnished with EEE Ultra-Shine. Followed by friction polish, and finally

Renaissance Micro-Crystalline Wax Polish to keep the fingerprints off.

Comppentopublish2-1.jpg

Comppentopublish-1.jpg

John. B

Well I have got to say that the entries so far are nothing short of fantastic!

Anyway I have spent some time today preparing the prize and here it is - a box measuring approx 60cm x 50cm x 6cm containing pen making timber galore - there is English Lacewood, Purpleheart, European Walnut, Lignum Vitae, European Cherry, More Brown Burr Oak, Ropala Lacewood, English Yew and more!

DSCF4448.jpg

DSCF4444.jpg

I put the No5 plane in the photo to give you an idea of size and hope that you all consider this a suitable prize for the winner!

So come on a few of you still have to get your entries in!

Rog

sorry for the delay - was hoping a kit I ordered for this would get here in time, and it hasn't; should have ordered a UK one I guess! So, a 'stock' Sierra from me...

6843485212_65ae2a0df5_o.jpg

thank you again to Dodge for all the effort he's put in, including thinking of this in the first place! Appreciated.

My entry, a Sierra Click. Finished with BLO and CA. Also done a matching Sierra Pencil, a treat for myself, thanks Dodge. :D

IMG_1129.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1129.JPG
    IMG_1129.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 1,082
Ok peoples, here's my attempt... I'm ashamed to say!!

I'm really not happy with the finish, but as usual, left it to the last minute to turn, and ran out of time to start again... and CA!
I have in the past got a glassy finish with the blo and ca, but just couldn't get the shine today! never mind :(

It's a cigar kit from timberbits, finished in BLO and CA

Hats off to everyone else, the pens are truly beautiful. (and the pictures too... can never do anything I make justice in a photo)

PS:just noticed in the second picture it looks like the nib is sticking out... it doesn't... I just didn't retract it properly...I give up!!

Attachments

• IMG_0147.JPG
    IMG_0147.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,049
  • IMG_0156.JPG
    IMG_0156.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,049
Hi everyone, here`s my effort.
I`m very much a beginning pen turner, so stuck to a slimline kit, with a couple of design changes: an ebony band and end cap.

pen1.jpg

pen3.jpg

Ian

Memo to self: must try some more pens. It`s good fun!

Attachments

• pen1.jpg
    pen1.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 1,047
  • pen3.jpg
    pen3.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 1,047
Great work Guys and Girls

Will close the tread and competition at 5pm tomorrow so any entries after that time will be too late!

The trouble is I have then got to make a very difficult decision - the pens are nothing short of magnificent - ALL OF THEM!

Winners Name will be posted tomorrow evening

Rog

I wouldn't want your job Mr Dodge I've narrowed it down to 2 that are my favourate but I can't choose between them!!!

Great prize by the way, the winner will really make use of those, keep him busy for ages!

Melinda_dd":32hiy7q8 said:
I wouldn't want your job Mr Dodge I've narrowed it down to 2 that are my favourate but I can't choose between them!!!

Great prize by the way, the winner will really make use of those, keep him busy for ages!

Him?? :shock:

No clues Melinda

Dodge":nc3kl1hx said:
Melinda_dd":nc3kl1hx said:

Him?? :shock:

No clues Melinda

I think i'm the only girl in it... and judging by the entrys... not a chance :lol: :lol: no clues needed :lol:

Hi

Finally finished - this is pen 2. Pen 1, which was the nicest blank, didn't make it to the finish line but I hope to finish it soon.

This is the full size Gentleman's pen. Took ages to capture some of the shine in a photo! It's been great fun taking part in this as it's got me back in my workshop for over a year. Many thanks, Roger.

Good luck everyone.

Oakburrpensmall.jpg

Hi Everyone

Only the 4th pen I have ever made.

Really enjoyed the challenge what a great and generous idea Dodge! and I am loving all of the entries, glad I am not judging!

Anyway, cigar pen finished with melamine laquer with a light buffing, my other pens have all been high gloss but wanted the wood to speak for itself this time. Very happy with how it turned out so already feel like a winner.

Cheers

Andy

Attachments

• pen2.jpg
    pen2.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 735
I'm afraid I'm going to have to duck out of this one... Available time and missing bits of pen kit are against me.

Thanks again to Roger for organising this one, I don't envy his job of picking a winner. Rest assured I will put the blanks to good use when I get a chance, and update with the result.

Good luck guys (and gal).

Si.

Right here we go!
Beautiful wood to work with, certainly some of the best Brown Oak I've used! Thanks for organising the competition and for send out all the wood!

Mounted on a Black-Ti Jr.Gent
PHIL

BrownOakBurr.jpg

BrownOakBurr1.jpg

DSC_0474.JPG
Here's mine, a closed chairmans. The first blank exploded on me in style, the blank was a challenge, we all know that burr wood varies in density, but this bit was incredible! Photography is C**p, thanks for the challenge Roger, good fun but I wouldn't do a closed end pen in burr again!!!

Attachments

• DSC_0474.JPG
    DSC_0474.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 693
NOW CLOSED

Now the very difficult bit starts - Will make my decision known this evening

Ok folks,

When I first thought of organising this small informal competition amongst friends her on UKW I never thought that I would put myself in such a difficult position!

Anyway can I start by saying that everyone has excelled themselves and the pens made are nothing short of amazing - ALL OF THEM!

Now my decision regarding the overall winner has been made on the appearance of the turning and the marrying of the wood to the metal pen components as well as the finish. I have not taken into account the type of movement/mechanism as they are all different and with the huge price variations in the pen kits used.

I feel that you are all winners in different ways but there is one pen which in my opinion does stand out from the crowd and this is the pen which has been chosen

THE WINNER IS THEREFORE

NICK WHITLOCK - AKA NIKNAK

I hope you will all agree that Nick is a worthy winner.

Well Done Nick - I have just booked a courier collection for tomorrow and the box of blanks will be with you on Wednesday!

Latest posts

Back