Parkside lathe....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cozzer

Established Member
Reaction score
Always fancied having a crack at wood turning, and noticed that Lidl are restocking their Parkside wood lathe again soon.
"Only" £90 or so, so interested...

Should I be?!

If it's this one then I would give it a miss.
Parkside Wooden Lathe Test - YouTube
Its basically a toy. A plastic one at that. A lathe needs to be good and solid for any chance of success. Also look for one that has morse tapers in the head and tailstocks so you can get other bits and pieces to fit. Like a drill chuck and a wood turning chuck. That one is just too flimsy and too limited as to what you can do with it.
Regards
John

Its basically a toy. A plastic one at that. A lathe needs to be good and solid for any chance of success. Also look for one that has morse tapers in the head and tailstocks so you can get other bits and pieces to fit. Like a drill chuck and a wood turning chuck. That one is just too flimsy and too limited as to what you can do with it.
Regards
John
+1 totally agree.

As above, I've watched a video or two on that lathe and it looked really awful. Might possibly be ok if you were just making really small things but personally I'd steer clear. I bought a lathe off FB for £100 which is infinitely better. Just keep an eye out and you'll find one eventually. If you don't like it you will pretty much be able to sell it for what you bought it for, unlike the parkside.

Only started turning recently myself and have to say it's very enjoyable. definitely give it a go

There is a good reason it is only £90 ,cheap and nasty,save your cash and put it towards something that will do the job.

Cozzer
As Phil says see about going along to your local woodturning club or perhaps a men's shed for some advice. Quite often they also have the lowdown on stuff coming up for sale and where to scrounge bits of wood in the locality.
Regards
John

Like the one I linked to, look for what what comes with a second hand lathe, its value can outweigh the value of the lathe. If you buy a bare lathe (good or bad) you'll probably spend more on ancillary kit than on the lathe itself. I paid about £350 for mine and have probably £600 - £700 's worth of chucks, jaws, mandrells and centres. I'm not saying you need all these of course, but over a time it'll add up. That's without tools, grinding gear etc.

I may have a myford ml8 for sale in the future, I will have to offer it to other men's sheds and our men's shedders first tbh.

But you never know.

Regards
John
Probably more use to a model builder - ships' masts etc.

I agree with the previous comments - steer clear of this. Machine Mart are offering a Clarke for £200 (also badged as lumberjack, vevor, SIP etc etc) and I would seriously recommend you to steer clear of that too. I have not owned one but a careful in store inspection was enough for me to walk awy. I have read so many bad reviews regarding this, and, admittedly, some good ones. Although most good reviews say it's OK for starting with etc. but then you would want to upgrade, so why bother in the first place? Personally I would go for a decent brand of second hand kit. Somebody mentioned the Myford ML8. That is dated now but it is in a totally different league to the cr@p mentioned above. I have owned one for over 40 years and it was old when I bought it. Myford stopped making them in the 1980s when they brought out the Mystro but the ML8 is a solid, well built, British lathe that will still be running when much of today's cheap kit is in the scrap heap where it belongs, not surprising when you consider it was selling for over £1000 at today's prices - plus motor and plus VAT. You could probably get one for around £200, depending on what comes with it. Or there is Record, Coronet (now taken over by Record), Tyme, Arundel - all well respected makes although check the spindle threads for compatibility. (visit lathes.co.uk for LOADS of info). I don't use my ML8 much now having managed to buy a Union Graduate and a Denford Viceroy - both very good lathes, both bought second hand. The graduates are still available at around £500. I paid £300 for the Viceroy but they seem to have gone up in price recently, perhaps people are beginning to realise how good they are? Finally, be aware that you will need woodturning chisels (£5 minimum for a skew, up to £50+ for a bowl gouge) and some means of keeping them sharp - and please invest in PPE, especially dust extraction.

K

Many thanks, graduate_owner.
Fantastic, detailed info. That must've taken a while to type! Cheers...

from the video in pos t#2 what was anyones thoughts on the little tool fashioned out of a circular saw blade ?

I have seen parting tools made from a bit of saw blade but that tool is neither fish nor fowl. What he has made is a really small scraper. Dont know why as he scrapes with all the other tools. Afraid the guy's turning knowhow kind of matches that lathe.
Regards
John

Always fancied having a crack at wood turning, and noticed that Lidl are restocking their Parkside wood lathe again soon.
"Only" £90 or so, so interested...

Should I be?!
I bought one when they were £60 and had a voucher so £50 spent. The advice is sound its not the most powerful of lathes but it does work. I attached mine to a double sheet of 1inch ply which makes a sold base for the lathe. Beware if you look for adapters I bought an American Vinwox chuck with a 1 inch 8tpi thread. The parkside says its a M18 thread which is true but there are 2 M18 threads ( great standard Not!) 1.5 and 2.5. 2,5 is common but 1.5 is not. Parkside uses 1.5. Ebay do the M18 1.5 to 1inch 8tpi adapters but very expensive. However having said that and keeping my chisels, both the ones that came with the lathe and some new Faithful ones, sharp a decent bowl can be produced. I will be upgrading my lathe at some point as it is a bit feeble. Would suggest another lathe if you can find one for a similar price but the above will help if you do decide to go with the parkside . Hope this helps

Latest posts

Back