Parkside Angle Grinder Owners - can you help with a favour please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krome10

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

I'm hoping to get a Parkside angle grinder on Thursday. I'll be chasing a stone wall ready for lead flashing, and plan to use either a 6.4mm or 8mm diamond mortar raking disc.

The manual says the maximum disc thickness for cutting is 3mm (although says 6mm for a "Roughing disc"). I'm not sure if those maximums are a "we can't condone using a thicker disc" type maximum? Or are they saying a thicker disc physically wouldn't be compatible/won't fit on the spindle?

I noticed just now that the discs aren't as thick on the inside as they are on the outside, so that will help. But I imagine it will still be well over 3mm.

My favour is... Does anyone have a 5" Parkside and if possible could you could check to see what thickness disc would safely fit on the spindle?

More generally, any opinions on the Parkside AG would be great to hear too.

Many thanks

Hi folks

I'm hoping to get a Parkside angle grinder on Thursday. I'll be chasing a stone wall ready for lead flashing, and plan to use either a 6.4mm or 8mm diamond mortar raking disc.

The manual says the maximum disc thickness for cutting is 3mm (although says 6mm for a "Roughing disc"). I'm not sure if those maximums are a "we can't condone using a thicker disc" type maximum? Or are they saying a thicker disc physically wouldn't be compatible/won't fit on the spindle?

I noticed just now that the discs aren't as thick on the inside as they are on the outside, so that will help. But I imagine it will still be well over 3mm.

My favour is... Does anyone have a 5" Parkside and if possible could you could check to see what thickness disc would safely fit on the spindle?

More generally, any opinions on the Parkside AG would be great to hear too.

Many thanks
Hi, I have the 20v green model it's great for trimming metal or using the flap disks but no where near enough power for cutting concrete or a lot of brick. I stick to my corded black and decker for that.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm definitely only aiming to get the corded version.

Don't know if the cordless would have the same spindle on it, but in case it does, what would you say the maximum thickness of disc you can get on there would be?

Anyone with a corded version who might be able to give a measurement for a safe maximum disc thickness and/or comment on why the manual says 3mm for cutting discs?

Many thanks

You'd want a 9" angle grinder for cutting any sort of length reglet.
Did you have a look on the used market for one, I see them frequently popping up
good brands for peanuts, that is,
If they wern't so unwieldy and a bit smaller I would'a got some long ago.

Just sayin, you could sell it for wot you bought it for.

That's what put me off it, the heaviness and unwieldyness of it. Although I've since been told that in other respects it could be more controllable.

But irrespective, I need to start the job tomorrow so won't have time to source one now.

Cheers

or get the 125mm model, more choise on blades and it's betweeen the two sizes........
more powerful than the small model but easier to handle.....
def go power lead type.....

As you say, the maximum thickness is quoted for the portion of the disk that is clamped by the nut, not the rim of the disk.

It is a good rule of thumb that every angle grinder is the same. If it fits a Makita, it will fit a Bosch or a Parkside.

...or get the 125mm model...

Would that be the one that is 2mm smaller than the 5" one he is proposing to buy?

I wouldn't personally use a disc at all, the diamond coated rakes below are much better, especially for doing the vertical joints. And will work well in a small handheld angle grinder. You can also buy an extractor plate to use a shop Hoover to remove the dust. Obvious disadvantages with that idea of course, long hose, getting the vacuum machine up the wall etc. And whilst it will reduce the amount of dust, there is still going to be an awful lot of it! You won't be popular with the neighbours :)

Attachments

• R (7).jpeg
    R (7).jpeg
    7 KB · Views: 0
get a couple. the dust will kill them. Doesn't matter if it's an expensive one It will still die. get the cheapest you can.

Good advice, thank you. In that case, Parkside definitely makes sense at £25. I'll get a couple, possible three, and can get a refund on any I don't use. Cheers

As you say, the maximum thickness is quoted for the portion of the disk that is clamped by the nut, not the rim of the disk.

Yeah, I can't beleive I didn't think that myself when I first thought it wasn't going to fit. I've got the discs now and whilst I don't have anything to measure the middle section it certainly seems slim enough to fit well. I'll get the Parkside(s) tomorrow and can confirm for sure but hope all will be well.

Still strange that Parkside say in the manual that maximum disc thickness is 3mm. And also why they have a different maximum thickness for cutting discs and "Roughing discs" (which are 6mm). Not so much worried as curious.

Would that be the one that is 2mm smaller than the 5" one he is proposing to buy?

Ha ha - very good! Someone's paying attention :)

I wouldn't personally use a disc at all, the diamond coated rakes below are much better, especially for doing the vertical joints.

I had looked at those. But remember, I'm not removing mortar between bricks. It's a random stone wall, so the flashing will be a straight diagonal line, not stepped. And the chase will be in both mortar and the stone itself. My plan had been to get a mortar raker as a follow up. IE - chase with the disc first, and then if I didn't have sufficient depth, follow up with the raker as per your picture, and use that inside the chase to get the additional depth. But when I enquired about that plan I was told it would work. I'm all ears if anyone thinks otherwise...

You won't be popular with the neighbours

Luckily just sheep here!

Many thanks for all the replies. All very helpful

9" Titan grinders from Screwfix are reasonably priced. I cut-up a concrete ramp (Wheelchair access), 8" deep x 48" long, with no problem. Eventually sold it when I no longer needed it - virtually got my money back.

Still strange that Parkside say in the manual that maximum disc thickness is 3mm. And also why they have a different maximum thickness for cutting discs and "Roughing discs" (which are 6mm). Not so much worried as curious.

One thing that will help the longevity of the grindr is a good blow job every time you descend the ladder. Removing the accumulated dust periodically with an air jet will contribute to a longer life for the machine.

Maybe Parkside's manual is good advice rather than stipulation. The translation from German might need some polishing.

It would be hard work and very slow going cutting with a disk more than 3mm thick (look how fast the 1mm slitting disks cut - and the Parkside version is 0.8mm thick so 20% faster still). Similarly, it would be a bit dangerous grinding (side loading) a disk that is less than 6mm thick.

First things first, whether the innuendo was intentional or not I'm going to leave others to make appropriate comment ;)

Seriously though, that's good advice thanks. I intend to do it in short bursts so as not to overheat it. I'll de-dust during those breaks. Thanks for that.

I've got various thickness discs so I do have options. I'll also start with some practice runs in concrete blocks and house stone, to get a feel for it and see how well the thicker discs perform. If I have to do it in two separate parallel lines and chisel out the middle, then so be it.

it would be a bit dangerous grinding (side loading) a disk that is less than 6mm thick.

Do you mean using the disc on an angle so as to grind rather than cut? And if so, do you mean intentionally or unintentionally?

Many thanks

Good advice, thank you. In that case, Parkside definitely makes sense at £25. I'll get a couple, possible three, and can get a refund on any I don't use. Cheers

Yeah, I can't beleive I didn't think that myself when I first thought it wasn't going to fit. I've got the discs now and whilst I don't have anything to measure the middle section it certainly seems slim enough to fit well. I'll get the Parkside(s) tomorrow and can confirm for sure but hope all will be well.

Ha ha - very good! Someone's paying attention :)

I had looked at those. But remember, I'm not removing mortar between bricks. It's a random stone wall, so the flashing will be a straight diagonal line, not stepped. And the chase will be in both mortar and the stone itself. My plan had been to get a mortar raker as a follow up. IE - chase with the disc first, and then if I didn't have sufficient depth, follow up with the raker as per your picture, and use that inside the chase to get the additional depth. But when I enquired about that plan I was told it would work. I'm all ears if anyone thinks otherwise...

Luckily just sheep here!

Many thanks for all the replies. All very helpful
My mistake, should have paid more attention. Your disc then rake plan sounds good. Good idea to blow out your slot with an airline afterwards if you can to get rid of all the dust. Put on a bowler hat and you will look just like the little guy from the Homepride flour adverts :)

Back