Palm router base plate extension

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have been devastated. lol. where did you get the plexi glass from please and how much was it?
I was :confused:, I got it from www.simplyplastics.com,they can cut it to size and add holes. They are also quite cheap although for me the shipping did take some time

I am a bit late to this as I could not find the link until now.

If you want to save time and not spend much money, can I recommend this:

https://tools4trade.co.uk/products/excel-trimmer-offset-base-plate
I think most of the trim routers have the Katsu pattern holes in the base plates (including that blatent copy of the machine by Makita). See: Printables for dimensions.

For just over £10, you can remove the aluminium part of the offset base, chuck it in the bin and keep the plastic part. I think you might get a free side handle into the bargain.

I’ve got a couple of alternatives:

• 5 or 6mm acrylic sheet. Easy to work, with the caveats about cutting on the table saw, clear, holes cut well with Forstner bits, nice smooth surfaces. Made an extended base for the trimmer base this way.
  • 3d printed. I’ve made a 200mm square sub-base for the plunge base on my Makita hand router, that incorporates the thread for Porter Cable/Leigh/Katsu threaded guide bushes. Only downside is that it’s not clear. But it’s also easy to include slots that help with dust extraction.
Geoff

You can buy 6 mm acrylic from Amazon and Ebay. I use it for all kinds of jigs. Be careful cutting it on the table saw as it can kickback violently with a conventional blade. Invest in a negative rake blade and proceed slowly. For irregular shapes I prefer to make a template with MDF and trim the acrylic using a spiral cutter.
I find the band saw much better and safer

As promised a couple of pics of my cactus and some bases I have made in the past using perspex
20230223_132516.jpg
20230223_131934.jpg
20230223_131914.jpg

I am a bit late to this as I could not find the link until now.

If you want to save time and not spend much money, can I recommend this:

https://tools4trade.co.uk/products/excel-trimmer-offset-base-plate
I think most of the trim routers have the Katsu pattern holes in the base plates (including that blatent copy of the machine by Makita). See: Printables for dimensions.

For just over £10, you can remove the aluminium part of the offset base, chuck it in the bin and keep the plastic part. I think you might get a free side handle into the bargain.
What a great shout and super find.
Thanks 👍🏻

If you can get hold of an old u.s. flat screen computer monitor, take it apart and buried in the bowels is a lovely flat piece of perspex ideal for the job you're doing. You just have to get rid of the plastic and pcb's afterwards, no real problem.

If you can get hold of an old u.s. flat screen computer monitor, take it apart and buried in the bowels is a lovely flat piece of perspex ideal for the job you're doing. You just have to get rid of the plastic and pcb's afterwards, no real problem.
Good shout, when you say u.s is that a brand or do you mean one made in the USA?

He means USeless.
Agh, OK, now don't I feel a tit lol. I've got a few old pc monitors so I know what I'm doing today.
I honestly didn't think they would have anything that thick in there to be suitable. Oh well we live and learn. 👍🏻👍🏻

It would be interesting to know which flat screen monitors had a rigid, thick enough plastic for a router baseplate? I've dismantled several as well as a couple of large LED tvs and nice materials but thin and flexible (still useful just haven't decided for what yet. :unsure:)

6mm clear or translucent acrylic is my first choice with polycarbonate a close second but I'm lucky as I managed a couple of plastic didtributors in my distant past and still have scrap.
What I suggest you do is some research of your local area, there may well be an Amari Plastics or similar distributor near you and they will have offcuts and scrap available. Look for Sheet or semi finished plastics distributors, also worth checking out, signmakers, thermoplastic form companies and asking in the big sheds for old display or counter screens. Shop fitters are another source as they scrap old screens from banks and shops and another source can be your local authority as they scrap / replace the polycarbonate in old bus shelters and it goes in the skip. A bit of lateral thinking and keeping your eyes open will get you what you want cheap or even free.

Lons,I've stripped down 3 monitors for the plastic now all different makes all had the 6/8 mm plastic sheet. I think because they were oldish ( over 6 years old by now) they could well have been lcd as opposed to the more modern led displays, maybe that makes a difference.
John

It would be interesting to know which flat screen monitors had a rigid, thick enough plastic for a router baseplate? I've dismantled several as well as a couple of large LED tvs and nice materials but thin and flexible (still useful just haven't decided for what yet. :unsure:)

6mm clear or translucent acrylic is my first choice with polycarbonate a close second but I'm lucky as I managed a couple of plastic didtributors in my distant past and still have scrap.
What I suggest you do is some research of your local area, there may well be an Amari Plastics or similar distributor near you and they will have offcuts and scrap available. Look for Sheet or semi finished plastics distributors, also worth checking out, signmakers, thermoplastic form companies and asking in the big sheds for old display or counter screens. Shop fitters are another source as they scrap old screens from banks and shops and another source can be your local authority as they scrap / replace the polycarbonate in old bus shelters and it goes in the skip. A bit of lateral thinking and keeping your eyes open will get you what you want cheap or even free.
Fantastic ideas, thank you.

Lons,I've stripped down 3 monitors for the plastic now all different makes all had the 6/8 mm plastic sheet. I think because they were oldish ( over 6 years old by now) they could well have been lcd as opposed to the more modern led displays, maybe that makes a difference.
John
Well I have 6 old flat screen monitors in the cellar, trust me they are getting ripped apart today just in case lol.

John
I didn't mean to suggest you were wrong John just interested because mine weren't, as you say maybe different types. Worth pulling apart for plastic that thick.
If I can find some locally I'll have another go as I'd also be interested in what kind of plastic and I should be able to determine that if I can remember, it's 40 years since I was in the plastics industry.

What do you do, collect the things? :D Hopefully they'll yield some useful material.
I did a community Christmas refurb old computer run last year, ended up giving away 8 refurbished windows 11 desktops to low income families for the kids.
In doing that I collected an absolute shed load of rubbish pc's to get the parts I needed. Hence all the monitors lol.
I didn't get a chance today but over the next few days I will rip them apart and post my findings.

The perspex is really deep inside the monitor, keep fetching stuff out until you practically come out of the other end, it is easy to think there is no perspex in there, it happened to me but I went back in and found it. It is normally covered with sheets of clear and white thin plastic sheets, these are ideal for using as gluing up mats as well.

Back