Palm router base plate extension

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulmiester

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all.
So I have a vonhaus palm router that I bought for a trimming project I was working on but was so impressed with it I bought the Plunge base for it.
I would like to make a slightly bigger base for some template cutting I want to do but feeling a bit overwhelmed with the different choices of materials to use. 8mm HDPE seems the favorite choice of many but are there and less expensive alternatives I could use? I will be using it a fair bit so looking for something that will last.
Look forward to any advice/links
Kind regards
Lee

Last edited:
Lee keep an eye out on eBay for anyone selling perspex off cuts I have made loads of bases for different routers , I was lucky in the fact my son works for a large retail center and he used to get me old display perspex . Even made one 1500mm long to use as a trammel when I installed deckings so I could get an 8ft curved edge
PS Jake or Elwood 👍

Lee keep an eye out on eBay for anyone selling perspex off cuts I have made loads of bases for different routers , I was lucky in the fact my son works for a large retail center and he used to get me old display perspex . Even made one 1500mm long to use as a trammel when I installed deckings so I could get an 8ft curved edge
PS Jake or Elwood 👍
Good shout thanks. 🙏👍🏻

I have used a base cut from a cheap HDPE chopping board from Poundland (or similar) on my Katsu trim router and another one from an A4 piece of clear Perspex bought on ebay for not much.

I have used a base cut from a cheap HDPE chopping board from Poundland (or similar) on my Katsu trim router and another one from an A4 piece of clear Perspex bought on ebay for not much.
What kind of thickness as a minimum can I get away with? I've seen those chunky HDPE chopping boards in asda for a fiver. I wanted something I could also use on my table saw as new runners for my sled. Kill two birds with one stone so to speak 👍🏻

What kind of thickness as a minimum can I get away with? I've seen those chunky HDPE chopping boards in asda for a fiver. I wanted something I could also use on my table saw as new runners for my sled. Kill two birds with one stone so to speak 👍🏻
6mm upwards to about 10mm depending what your routing and how rigid you want the base

It's mainly for support when template cutting so I'm thinking 6mm would be fine, now all I have to do is find a clear cutting board lol.

The cutting board is about 5mm but seems fine with my trim router, obviously would need thicker with a more substantial machine. The perspex is 6mm and that is rock solid with the same caveats. Funnily enough I bought the cutting board originally for sled runners, the trimmer base was a useful afterthought 😉

The cutting board is about 5mm but seems fine with my trim router, obviously would need thicker with a more substantial machine. The perspex is 6mm and that is rock solid with the same caveats. Funnily enough I bought the cutting board originally for sled runners, the trimmer base was a useful afterthought 😉
Great minds lol.

I'd be trying to find either 6 or 9 polycarbonate, clear and impact resistance as used in visors, OR Trespa. Imagine the top 1/2mm thickness of a Formica type covered kitchen worksurface. Trespa is the same stuff but in thicknesses of 3mm up to about 20mm. I used it for my 1000 x 600 router table top in 15mm thickness with 6 mm drop in plates for the router.

Colin

I'd be trying to find either 6 or 9 polycarbonate, clear and impact resistance as used in visors, OR Trespa. Imagine the top 1/2mm thickness of a Formica type covered kitchen worksurface. Trespa is the same stuff but in thicknesses of 3mm up to about 20mm. I used it for my 1000 x 600 router table top in 15mm thickness with 6 mm drop in plates for the router.

Colin
Wow, I didn't think something/anything at 15mm would be suitable for a baseplate replacement. Or do you think I mean a router table insert?
Food for thought though, thanks.

I made a a new base for my palm router this morning, used a transparent acrylic sheet. It was my first one, getting the holes correct and rebating the holes for the screws head was nit tricky. I was please it worked a treat using it for a template...

Until the router rolled of bench and broke it :(

You can buy 6 mm acrylic from Amazon and Ebay. I use it for all kinds of jigs. Be careful cutting it on the table saw as it can kickback violently with a conventional blade. Invest in a negative rake blade and proceed slowly. For irregular shapes I prefer to make a template with MDF and trim the acrylic using a spiral cutter.

You can buy 6 mm acrylic from Amazon and Ebay. I use it for all kinds of jigs. Be careful cutting it on the table saw as it can kickback violently with a conventional blade. Invest in a negative rake blade and proceed slowly. For irregular shapes I prefer to make a template with MDF and trim the acrylic using a spiral cutter.
That's what I used, 6mm acrylic, although it does break if it drops on the floor

I made a a new base for my palm router this morning, used a transparent acrylic sheet. It was my first one, getting the holes correct and rebating the holes for the screws head was nit tricky. I was please it worked a treat using it for a template...

Until the router rolled of bench and broke it :(
I would have been devastated. lol. where did you get the plexi glass from please and how much was it?

A baltic birch plywood scrap 6mm to 9mm thick makes a nice base and is easy to work with. You can make it bigger than you think you need and after using it for a while, cut it down or reshape it until you are happy. Then if you want a clear base get some plastic and copy it.

Pete

Back