Outward opening doors - a cautionary tale

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
Of course Steve M would not be so stupid

Outward opening workshop doors - A cautionary tale

The outward opening doors on my barn

The bolt that keeps the doors fixed open

View from inside the barn that shows what happens if the bolt is not properly turned and held in place in the "up" position

You will notice the bolt on the right is held in place but the one on the left has slipped down over the door jam cum weather seal rendering the door unopenable from the outside.

The solution, 4 rows of shiplap are now screwed in place to allow easy removal and access.

You can imagine the problem when this first happened (yes it has happened more than once) when all of my more useful tools were inside the workshop which is inside the barn

And there was me thinking you had built a cat trap!

Would a small block of wood behind the water bar to prevent the bolt engaging work?

I would go for a keep rest for the horizontal part of the drop bolt handle, could be a screw or a nice block of wood

Personally i would move the upper rest/ keep into the correct position higher up to stop it happening again. ;)

'scuse me for being thick, but how was the door able to close beyond the normal position? All our (outward opening) doors have a threshold strip that stops this happening.

Back