outside allotment door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caretaker

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know how I am going to explain this but here go's.
I am making an enclosure over my allotment between two greenhouses that will have polythene ends.
On one end I am putting a door, also with polythene on.
I have made the door about 6feet tall and just under 2 feet across with a bracer in the centre.
Looks like an H with a top and bottom on.
I have used M & T joints.
Now the tricky bit, should I do 2 more bracer's to give it more strength as this may get a bit of ware with the wind and me going in and out.
I will not be able to use M & T as I have glued it all up.
help, suggestions.
Reg

I'd add two diagonal braces one from top corner on unhinged edge to mid brace hinge side and a second parallel to it in the lower half of the frame.
This will take some of the load off the MT joints and resist the tendency for the door to sag in time.

Bob

Hi Reg

Trying to image the door from your description, is it the same as a framed and ledged gate without the t&g, either way to prevent it from dropping you just need to introduce two diagonal braces which extend up from the hinge stile above the bottom rail and another starting from the mid rail, pointing up towards the opposite top corner. Unless the door is very wide which i doubt from what you have said. In which case you can not lay them down too far otherwise they do not do the job.
Hope that helps, if i knew how to i would do you a picture someone else mite do you the pics to go with the above. Failing that just do a goggle for framed and ledged gates a picture tells a thousand words.

Mark :)

Thats it Reg

As i say stick to the pictures and throw the instructions away :lol: :lol: :lol: Mark

Back