Opinion please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owd git

Established Member
Reaction score
As I am restricted on space and cash(I spend most of my time at our static caravan) I have a metal caravan box to store equipment. Rather than take up space with a separate cross mitre and a table saw I thought this would be ideal.
Code:
I can't justify a Dewalt and it will only have hobby use. http://www.ukhs.tv/Tools/Woodworking-Ma ... P-OVER-SAW has anybody seen or used one. Most grateful for any help. Thanks Charlie.

Can't advise on makes but three big problems spring to mind

Its noisy for caravan site
Security, people will hear it and then see you lock a nice shiny new one into your box
Weight, its 35 kg

Thanks Mrp site is like fort knox workmen working mon fri all the time and I can live with 35 kg. need to know if they are fit for purpose and work well.

That's the thing Charlie. Everyone in your position often neglects the 2nd hand market. For decent tools my experience is that its pretty good in fact. That risk can further be reduced by buying through this forum where you're more likely to have a positive experience than say e bay. I bought my dewalt chopsaw 2nd hand and it was excellent value for money. The only thing I did was put a new blade on it. I've bought tablesaws, mortisers, nailers you name it....never had a duck yet and they're usually 50-75% of new value depending on age and condition. It's really worth keeping an eye open.

Random Orbital Bob":2wfo23ly said:
That's the thing Charlie. Everyone in your position often neglects the 2nd hand market. For decent tools my experience is that its pretty good in fact. That risk can further be reduced by buying through this forum where you're more likely to have a positive experience than say e bay. I bought my dewalt chopsaw 2nd hand and it was excellent value for money. The only thing I did was put a new blade on it. I've bought tablesaws, mortisers, nailers you name it....never had a duck yet and they're usually 50-75% of new value depending on age and condition. It's really worth keeping an eye open.

I am also considering this option but most used ones are 110v I want 240v keeping options open just now.

Just to what my problem is all my gear will be stored in the green box at the back of the van and my workshop will be the great outdoors[url ][/url]

Charlie, have you identified that you need both table and mitre saw? My experience of combined tools is they generally represent poor value for money.

I have no direct experience of the Wolf saw but it looks similar design to other brands at that price point, i.e. Einhell. I appreciate you are aware that the original RRP they quote of £699 is fiction, don't let the £450 saving influence you - its easy for all of us to justify tool purchases to ourselves. I'd question the interest that supplier will have once they have got your cash - be wary of tool suppliers that sell Jewellery.

That said, it's got a decent powered motor, decent safety mechanisms and a 10" blade capacity. I would email / call the distributor and ask for more details, i.e. amps rating of the motor (this will confirm the actual wattage), ask what it comes with and confirm warranty details, etc.

Factor in other costs, you will definitely need a vacuum / extractor of some form if you are working outside, else you will very quickly make a right mess of your garden. Its a given that the blade on that saw is going to be cheap and may not produce the results you are looking for - you may want to invest in a decent blade upgrade at some point. They also charge for delivery, small amount granted but when your on a budget it all adds up.

Going back to my first point, I would double check that you want / need both table and mitre saw capability. You could certainly buy a decent basic branded sliding mitre saw for that money and a decent low end site table saw would be close (they are also generally quite space efficient as they are designed to be folded down for transport). Even if you decide you want both, I would also question the convenience of storage of a combined machine comparative to separates. Combined machines always compromise in my experience.

Good luck.

After seeing a flip over saw in the flesh decided against the idea. Had a demo of Axminster ts200 and liked it. After measuring up it will go in on a table easy, so I bought it. I will put wheels on the front of the table and handles to make it like a wheel barrow for moving. So hopefully now set up. Thanks for all the input. Regards Charlie.

Well done on the saw. If you search on here and google you will find plenty of mods to give you more ideas. :)

Latest posts

Back