Online Auction ...Ends Tomorrow

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
*cue thick moment*

I've never understood how online auctions work... like is it a paypal payment thing? And how o you gain your items? Do they get posted or do you have to go get them?

I do in person auctions a lot, but never looked into online ones

Ebay is different :-D For instance, there might be provision for bidding on it's own, there may also be a 'buy it now' option before bidding starts, or there may just be a 'buy it now' option and no bidding.

It's up to you to check on how the item is delivered, some are collection only, some will do free delivery, some will do recorded delivery etc. Generally, you pay via paypal linked to a debit/credit card, you should avoid cash/bankers draft sales and you only pay once you've won the bid.

ah, fair enough> I have used eBay before to be honest but I sort of see that as different I guess lol. I will keep them in mind, after having a quick look now there are some very useful things on there at fairly low prices

Usually on these sites if you place a bid within 10 mins of the end, they automatically increase the bidding time by another 10 mins. If that makes sense

Yes as soon as some one makes a bid in the last ten mins it goes back to 10min to auction end. You have to keep in mind that the hammer price is subject to vat at 20% then the buyers premium is 15% plus 20% vat. It soon makes a bargain expensive. I got caught out when getting a spindle moulder so learnt a valuable lesson. You are also responsible for collecting the items. Sometimes they will arrange delivery but usually only on small items. Also as soon as you win you are responsible for its insurance. You can get some real bargains especially if your near the site.

As Wallace has said but as one who also got caught I'd like to reinforce.

Read the small print carefully. Many (most?) of this type of auction have a "buyers premium" up to 25% + VAT.
What looks a bargain may end up not being one by the time all the extras are applied.

At least eBay is what you bid is what you pay, plus postage.

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but... has anyone actually used Bidspotter? In order to register, you need to provide card details, which immediately made alarm bells ring.

Thanks

Yes I have. A local factory went bust and I wanted to buy some gear from the auction. Every thing is fine with them.

Mike

Latest posts

Back