One year on.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice one Andrew, as Paul said something different, and it is nice to see something different,

Steve

Went to John Boddys yesterday to get some timber for a few sign-making projects I have to do,and picked up a walnut bowl-blank while I was there:-

Picture309Small.jpg

Picture315Small.jpg

155 mm diameter,55 mm high,finished in food-safe oil.
When I took all the sealing wax off the blank,the grain looked so good I just went for a simple shape - slight ogee profile,small foot,small rim.

It's a lovely timber to work with,just don't see it around very often.

Andrew

I like that Andrew :D
Wood looks gorgeous.Very nearly bought some Walnut at Yandles last year,but got Zebrano instead.How do the 2 compare,turning wise :?:

Never got any turning done last weekend - was making signs,nameplates and house numbers for people on Saturday
Picture228Small.jpg

Picture226Small-1.jpg

then a surprise visit from my daughter and grand-daughter on Sunday put paid to my planned workshop time (but still made it a nice day :D )

So made some workshop time this morning.Had a play about making some chopsticks :-

Picture328Small.jpg

to go with my rice bowl
Picture327Small.jpg

made a door wedge out of an offcut of oak,turned on the lathe,trimmed on the bandsaw,then sanded smooth

Picture323Small.jpg

and another Douglas fir knucklerapper:-

Picture320Small.jpg

Picture322Small.jpg

140mm square,60mm high,waxed.

Andrew

Just messing about with bits and pieces maybe, but they all look as though they were satisfying to complete Andrew.

Seem to have been very busy doing all sorts of things recently (repairing pub stools,tidying up the workshop,fitting an extra socket so I have some where to plug in my new belt/disc sander) and not had much turning time.
But last weekend,made a spoon from a plank:-
Picture004Small.jpg

Picture007Small.jpg

Made from beech,no finish at all,and now one of my cooking utensils.

And made a wine glass from some leftover tulip wood,to add to the goblets I made earlier:-
PictureSmall.jpg

Made a matching one tonight,too dark to take a picture :(

Andrew (now on holiday for a week,and hoping to get some turning done :wink: )

Thanks Paul - inside was done with small carving chisels,and tidied up with 50mm sanding pad;outside was shaped on the belt sander,and finished by hand.
Was fun to do,but I couldn't make a living at it.. :wink:

Andrew

Here's the twins :lol: :-

Picture015Small.jpg

Bowls 65mm diameter,160mm high,waxed.

Have been out this morning and made this :-

Picture016Small.jpg

Picture017Small.jpg

Picture018Small.jpg

Was going to have a small bit of decoration on the outside,until I started turning it and discovered the rippling.

Ash,155mm diameter,100mm high,waxed.

Andrew

It's amazing how much character and colouring you can get in Ash, especially if it has been growing in difficult conditions.

Congrats' on the birth of the twins, hope you don't get too many requests for duplicates, it's amazing how many people assume it is easy to do repeats.

Been making signs again..

Picture020Small.jpg

..and sorting out some recently-acquired eucalyptus..

Picture022Small.jpg

..which,as you can see,is still a bit green.. :lol:

And made this this morning :-

Picture024Small.jpg

Picture025Small.jpg

Picture026Small.jpg

Central American cedar,200mm diameter,30mm high,finished in friction polish.
Cuts nicely,but thought it was a bit too soft to hold much detail,so just gave the rim a slight undercut.
Apologies about the shadows,but we've had beautiful blue skies and sunshine :lol: - cut the grass this afternoon,dug some post holes for a new front fence,then the sky went dark and it hammered it down.. :(

Andrew

Best of luck with the eucalyptus Andrew, I have some that Pete gave me and am currently at a loss on how to use it, I have never seen wood with so many inbuilt (stress?) voids, had thought about trying to fill them with dark infill and making something resembling a Plum Pudding. :lol:

Haven't got any plans on what to use it for yet,but it was free,and I just couldn't say no.. :lol:
Whilst putting it up on the drying rack,took down a piece of home-dried birch,and made this :-

Picture033Small.jpg

Picture034Small.jpg

Picture035Small.jpg

Spalted silver birch,200mm diameter,70mm high,finished with melamine lacquer (to give it a reasonably strong surface - the end grain was a little soft,but cut fairly well with the gouge straight off the grinder)

Andrew

Now that I like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You say it was home dried. Do you mean you spalted it yourself or was it already that fighuring?

Pete

Thanks Pete - it was from a trunk cut down about three years ago;was left on the ground for most of a year,where it must have been damp enough to pick up some fungus - was then stood in my garage for about a year (as a trunk still),then slabbed and sealed and has been air-drying outside for almost a year.
So home-dried,rather than home-spalted.("Free" rather than "bought" 8) )

Got another seven pieces left still... :whistle:

Andrew

One of the problems with home dried timbers is the long wait for it to become usable... this was well worth the patience Andrew, hits my woodturning G spot :shock:

Is it a keeper or can you bring yourself to part with it ? (Personally, I 'd rather sell the kids :lol: :wink: )

Latest posts

Back