One year on.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome Jenx, your only one of many who gets caught with posting photos. I did when I started as well. All will be OK after a couple more posts!

Keep practicing, it's what makes the wood go round :lol:

Thanks Tam ... you guys here are all 'inspiring', If i can peak at 1/10th as good as most of the pictures put up, in 10 years time - I'll be over the moon !

i'd best not hi-jack this thread any more... if it's allright, I'll put a new one up to show you my meagre first effort, elsewhere !

I like em all Andrew,especially the Purple Heart bowl :D though i think the snowman could do with a bit more snow on him :lol:
Paul.J.

Hi Pete - it's 150mm diameter,100mm high (6"x4")

Jenx - welcome to the forum :D

Tam - my mate at work preferred the large,straighter-sided piece of plum :?

Anyone turned bay ? Just been offered some (and some holly :D ) by my local tree surgeon - and obviously said yes;just wondered what I was letting myself in for ?

Andrew

Andrew said
Tam - my mate at work preferred the large,straighter-sided piece of plum :?

None so queer as folk Andrew, mind if we all liked the same thing it would be so boring! :shock: :lol:

Firstly welcome to the forum Jenx. Great bunch on here and totally agree on the work posted. Very inspiring.

I'm not familar with a l lot of the 'exotic' woods posted on the forum but really like the purpleheart piece Andew. Love the color and also the overall shape. (particulary the top lip profile). One to copy sometime :)

Not sure on the natural, I think I also prefer the more rounded shape. Still a nice piece and the edge really sets it off.

The wife saw some mushrooms at a local craft fair. The stall was full of really amazing turnings but all she keeps asking about is when I'll be good enough to turn her one ! Again another one for the list.

Thanks

Shaun

Made these yesterday:-

Picture207Small.jpg

And another of these this morning:-

Picture208Small.jpg

And a few more mushrooms inbetween - they do seem to be a popular item.
Nice to see everyone else has also been busy - had to go half-way down the second page to find this post.
Met my newly-discovered friendly local tree-surgeon this week,as he had some holly trunk for me "It's only about 8" diameter,is that any use?" he said - 8" diameter maybe,turned up to find it was 7' long :shock: (fitted in the Fiesta,so no problem);he has a sycamore tree due to come down shortly,which I can have as much of as I would like,and he will deliver it :D

Andrew

Very nice Andrew :D
I like the finish.What wood have you used :?:
Good news on the tree surgeon front.Must get round to seeing mine again soon :roll:
Paul.J.

Thanks Paul - both made from Scottish elm,finished with aerosol lacquer.

And this afternoons strange job was..

Picture212Small.jpg

Making a new base for a stuffed mongoose :lol:

The original plywood one shown in the foreground - think it looks much better on the silver birch,but still not convinced I would like it in the house :?

Andrew

Blimey ! :shock:

Looks like some of the thing's I've seen out on the town in Darlo :)

I like the birch for the base but really don't know where I would display something like that Andrew.

Again some nice pieces and good to hear about the local surgeon, ideal find.

Shaun

Spent a bit of time yesterday hoovering the mongoose and oiling the snake (sounds like something from the profanisaurus in Viz :lol: ),ran the birch base over the planer,turned some little oak feet for it to stand on,and have now happily returned it :D
Had enough time spare yesterday to make this:-

Picture213Small.jpg

Picture214Small.jpg

Sycamore,200mm diameter,70mm high,food-safe finish (it's destined as a salad bowl)

And some more mushrooms:-
Picture217Small.jpg

Which do seem to sell very well - wish I could find a yew tree somewhere... :wink:
No workshop time this afternoon - grand-daughters 4th birthday :D (I'm in charge of the fireworks :shock: )

Andrew

Some amazing stuff there PT, even more so on your web page! 8) However. I think you should spend less time turning and take time out to pop over here to the sunny Lakes and show me how TO MAKE THE BL**DY THINGS!! :cry:
I got my new Patriot chuck yesterday and had a bash at an oak blank with the intent of ending up with a beautiful bowl, but all I ended up with was a semi bowl that looked like it had a hand grenade scopped at it :cry: I kept getting major dig-ins and it's scared the bejeesus out of me.
How on earth have you managed to produce so many stunners after a year? :evil: I've been going 3 months and my beloved says she's sick of bloomin' tea-light holders. :shock:

Well done that man - yours in utter dejection and jealousy, Mark :D

PowerTool":3onl46lo said:
Which do seem to sell very well - wish I could find a yew tree somewhere... :wink:
Andrew
If you want yew for mushrooms. go to the local cemetries and look around for offcuts. They often leave the trimmings from the smaller branches just lying around and they are plenty big enough for mushrooms. Don't need to dry them out ewither.

Also look in hedges for trimmings of elder (get really good bark inclusions with this timber) and other wood. Plenty around, just need to get out of the car and look. :lol:

Woody67":3onl46lo said:
yours in utter dejection and jealousy, Mark

Many of us on here have only been turning for a year or less, we just don't post all our mistakes and accidents. :roll:

Aim to cut very thinly and when offerring the gouge to the wood, do so in a way that doesn't cut then gently and slowly roll the gouge until it starts to bite. Keep this angle.

Alsao if you are cutting into end grain work from the centre out, with the grain from the outside in. Hope this makes sense.

Pete

Lovely bowl Andrew :D
Nice finish and detail round the rim.
Is the rim undercut on the outside or been left solid :?
Nice little mushrooms too.
Paul.J.

Thanks for the comments.

Paul - the rim is left solid (about 8mm thick) - it "feels nice" when you handle it,so think it should be a useable piece.

Pete - thanks for the tips.Never tried elder.Bit dark on a night for hunting round hedgebacks,but I'll keep my eyes open on a weekend (Haven't actually been reduced to carrying the chainsaw round in the back of the car yet,but have thought about it.. 8) )

Mark - am off work for a week from the 24th onwards (probably going to Harrogate on the 24th) and was planning a trip to G&S at Penrith sometime whilst off (back at work 3rd Dec) - if you want proof I make mistakes and have dig-ins as well,will try and combine the two :wink:

Andrew

Thanks PT - My learning curve will have to remain steep - the week that you're off, I'm residing in.....don't laugh......BARROW!! :cry: c/o my work.
Have you been to G&S before? If you have, what do you think?
If you haven't , it's certainly the best supply shop I've ever been to - very friendly, helpful and welcoming. Their blanks section is something else....kiddy/sweetshop effect! :D .
The only trouble is they sell Festool gear, which I always deliberately ignore with my eyes shut whilst heading for the wood store!
Enjoy your hols fella and hopefully your trip to G&S :D

Mark

Yes Mark,been to G&S a few times (including their show/open day last year);small and slightly out-of-the-way,but always worth a visit.Great selection of tools and timber,and service is always friendly and enthusiastic.

Made this during yesterdays "wet Saturday afternoon" :wink: :-

Picture132Small.jpg

Elm,19" diameter,finished in aerosol lacquer.
Although the lathe coped fine with such a huge piece of timber,I need a longer toolrest or extension arm if I ever turn anything that size again.

Made these snowmen this morning :-

Picture134Small-1.jpg

Beech,45mm diameter,125mm high.

And these are meant to be Santa's :-

Picture135Small-1.jpg

Ash and padauk,55mm diameter,135mm high.
Both are deliberately undecorated and unfinished - customer wants them for his nieces,so they can paint and decorate them themselves.(Should keep them quiet for a while.. :lol: )

This weeks timber find (from the bloke who wanted the Santa's and snowmen) :-

Picture138Small.jpg

Picture139Small.jpg

Three bags of offcuts,mainly sapele (with the promise of more to follow 8) )

Used some to make a hat for this work-in -progress :-

Picture136Small-1.jpg

Picture137Small.jpg

Lime and sapele,65mm diameter,160mm high.Hole down the middle is 38mm diameter,100mm deep.Big enough to hide something in,but don't know what yet.. :-k

Andrew

That platter must be spectacular in real life Andrew. I will have to upgrade my lathe before \I an even dream of making anything that big. Have you thought of making a rest for things that size? there are a few plans on the net of different types, some in wood, some in metal.

Those snowmen are breeding like rabbits.... :lol: Beginning to think I'm the only turner on here that hasn't had a go yet.

Pete

That platter is a beast. Very nice andrew, when you use aerosol lacquer do you put anything on first or is this just applied to the wood?
Also how many coats does it take ?
I've never used it but like the finish it has given.

Got enough Snowmen around me at the moment so might have a crack at a Santa :)

The contrasting wood for the hats certainly sets them off.

Cheers

Shaun

Latest posts

Back