Plum bowl.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
Well folks i am still getting through the blanks i have cut up,then when they are gone a few logs to cut up for more blanks and firewood :lol: so this is my last piece for 2013,unless i get a mad urge to go down over the hols :?
This is Plum that was given to me by a friend a couple of years ago but had badly split so only managed to salvage this piece which as you can see from the piccy had rot in the core which i was going to turn out but decided to try and save it which i did do by soaking the affected area with super glue before cutting down to final sze and sanding.
I left the holes purposely to hilite the rot,but the rest of the good wood has some lovely pinky purpley colouring to it along with the rich golden colour which was just too nice to throw out.
Sizes are 7"dia by 2-1/4" high with a wall thickness of 1/4".
Finished with lemon oil for now.
Merry Christmas :ho2

plumbowlukw.jpg

Attachments

• plumbowlukw.jpg
    plumbowlukw.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,624
Really lovely wood colouring shown off well by the form. This gives me hope, as last week I got myself more than a heaped wheelbarrow full of plum logs, been cutting blanks this week and hope to set them up to dry slowly over the weekend.

Edit... OOPS Senior moment, I meant Pear logs :(

Simple, stunning. An example of how a well turned bowl should look. Cracking bit of wood too!

Hello Paul,
Yep really nice bit of work the colours of plum are for me quite special hints of purple green pink all colours. But its not a species of wood I have had luck with in the past, just too unreliable with cracks and splits.
This to my mind makes it all the nicer.

=D> =D>

Rend.

A real beauty Paul , well worth the care in turning .

Timber is shown to it's best by the shape and finish you applied . =D> =D>

And a :ho2 Happy Christmas to you and yours :ho2

God Bless.

I like that alot, and good save with the superglue, where most would have binned it, pulling lost causes out of the wood pile is so satisfying, and I love the colour change across it.

Thank you everyone. :D
As has been said before fruit logs are not the easiest of timbers to keep without splitting badly,as this log had done and this was the best i could get out of it,there is still a crack in it which i hope i could turn out but it goes right through but the good old super glue seems to have done its job :eek:
Merry Christmas all :ho2 :deer

Back