One year on.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two very nice pieces Andrew, simple elegance yet again!

Luv the clean lines of the goblet... I saw it more as a stylised Scottish thistle head (useful defence if Pete does sue :lol: ).

Surely that Pub must be nearing completion or are you spinning it out :p

Don't worry Andrew, imitation is supposed to be a form of compliment and I'll take any of those that I can get.

Lovely round shape to it. Tghat's the hardest part I found, getting it to look spheroid.

Pwete

Thanks for the comments.

Chas - the sycamore has a darker patch,near the rippled figuring.The polish also darkened it further.But it's more probably due to average light and mediochre photography.. :oops:

Graham - thanks for the defence :wink: Pub is now open,and will get finished boxing in all the pipework tomorrow.Then just have three doors to hang,a Western-style rail to make for tying up horses outside,and then get to start doing shelving in the flat...
But the Guinness is good,and the staff are all getting good at doing shamrocks in the top as well :D

Pete - think Grahams last comment just shows he is a*sing around again.. :lol: :lol:

Andrew

Couple of nice pieces Andrew :D
I like the goblet too.Nice sharp clean edges.Again,like Petes,the bowl looks a seperate piece to me.Looks good :D

PowerTool":3gryta2c said:
Pete - think Grahams last comment just shows he is a*sing around again.. :lol: :lol:

Andrew

I know, I'm kinda used to him by now. Anyway, anyone who can't tell the difference between a thistle and a poppy seed head needs humouring don't they :lol:

Don't get that last posting by the way Graham? Does reminds me of a lovely bumper sticker I saw this week....

'If you aren't a hemorrhoid, get off my a**'

Pete

Pete

Pete, Andrew yew burgers.... I'm having trouble typing this ... lacrimose laughter ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like the ebonizing inside the goblet. Nice idea. I've never been a huge fan of goblets though so I prefer the oak (platter/bowl/?).
I've been doing quite a bit of square turning recently so like this straight away..

Thanks Duncan.Idea was from a Japanese sushi platter,so I guess it's a platter;I quite enjoy square turning,and now I can even manage to miss my knuckles.. :wink:

Bit more time in the shop this afternoon:-

Picture201Small-1.jpg

Picture202Small-1.jpg

Sycamore,135mm diameter,75mm high,waxed.Couple of burnt grooves added to give it a little colour.

Andrew

After spending most of yesterday doing jobs for other people,went to see my daughter and grand-daughter in Newcastle this morning and called in to see Ianz beamz (see post "ash for sale" in general woodworking) on the way.
Came away with this:-
Picture248Small.jpg

14.5" wide,2" thick,7' long (cut in half to fit in the car - the footprint was free..) - or 6 x 14" platter blanks,with lightpulls or similar from the corner offcuts for £35 (incidentally,if anyone going to Pauls bash wants to buy some off Ian,will happily collect and bring to Brum - as long as it's not too many,and you don't mind them being 2 x 3'6")

Then went and had a play in the workshop with a left-over glue-up of some of my stock of unknown Brazilian hardwood:-

Picture204Small.jpg

Picture205Small.jpg

Picture206Small.jpg

Streaks in it are reminiscent of goncalo alves,although the timber is more of a red colour,and feels less dense.
Piece is 260mm x 170mm x 20mm.
Things I learnt :-
1) It would look better sat on the tips of the wings (wingtips are about 2mm short of touching - perhaps 20mm stock isn't the right thing to start with.. :wink: )
2) 4mm thick wings flex quite a lot :shock: - makes sanding...err..interesting,to say the least.. (mainly power sanded with lathe stationary,and supported from behind)
3) If you use leftover stock to practice on,sometimes you have to alter the design when you turn into the biscuits you forget you used when gluing up.. :oops:

Andrew

Very neat. I like those type of platters / bowls. I am not as good as you in getting them square enough though. The fact that it is made of joined pieces enhanceds it IMHO especially s you have done it so symetrically.

Pete

Great use of flatworld leftovers Andrew, like the highlight detail around the cup rim.

Only having half a day booked in "flatland" this weekend,managed to tidy up the garden and make some time in the workshop.

Made a set of coasters:-

Picture210Small.jpg

Sycamore,100mm diameter,finished in melamine

And for some between-centres practice :-

Picture209Small.jpg

A set of eggcups and a honey-dipper,made out of maple.

Andrew

Nice to see some copying work coming out, instead of one-off's. Good job Andrew.

I get it, "something for you Honey" and "I thought these might protect your nicely polished table" :p

Still I guess it's a small price for a day & a half having fun.

Looks like good consistency on the duplication dimensions Andrew.

Back