One year on.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That last one certainly has that "Look into my depths" sort of persona Andrew.

I think I would have to calm it down with some contents if it was on my side table :lol:

Not the the easiest of woods to finish I would think with the differing growth densities.

Very nice Andrew :D
I like the shape of the last piece with the grain pattern.Reminds me of that programme from years ago The Time Tunnel :lol:
How did you find turning Douglas Fur.Was it splintery :?:
Happy New Year.
Paul.J.

Just catching up on some posts that I'd missed.....

Really pleased to see that someone also gets pleasure from repetetive turning - there's something about it. Also pleased to see that some people are using softwood.

Quite honestly, a very cheap and easy way for any newer starter to turning to develop their own style and confidence is to go to Wickes or the like, buy a length of carcassing 4" x 2" Pine and make it into blanks, set yourself a few hours aside and make some bowls - as fast as you can, non-stop. If you can get a decent finish on that stuff you'll have learnt something - It'll also help if you have a wood burning stove for the results.......but next time you true up that expensive blank that you bought on ebay you'll be closer to getting a really first class bowl, first time.

Chris.

Thanks for the comments - the Douglas fir wasn't particularly splintery,and wasn't too bad to finish (mainly power-sanded with a 3" disc,to keep my fingers away from it :lol: );might have been more of a problem with the differing densities if it wasn't virtually all curved.
Made a couple of these this afternoon,to use up some smaller bits of timber:-
Picture265Small.jpg

Makes a change from snowmen.. :wink:

Andrew

Seem to have been rather busy doing other things recently,but found time to make this last night:-

Picture268Small.jpg

Picture275Small.jpg

Burr elm,130mm diameter,50mm high,currently on it's third coat of finishing oil.

Also managed to swap a bit of time driving a dumper truck yesterday morning for this lot :-

Picture266Small.jpg

a load of willow

Picture267Small.jpg

and a load of cherry.

All now been sealed,and stacked away to dry :D

Andrew

Very nice Elm piece Andrew,and lighter :D
How did you finish sanding on the natural edge piece.
I've always been put off attempting a natural edge piece for some reason :roll:
Nice haul of timber too.Don't think i've seen any turned Willow.
Wouldn't it be best to split the Cherry logs.
Paul.J.

Thanks Paul - most of the outside was sanded by hand with the lathe on,the outer parts were power sanded with a 3" disc (to keep my fingers away from the bumpy bits :wink: )The inside was power sanded with my new toy,again to keep the fingers out of the way.
And yes,the cherry will get spilt - yesterday,just wanted to get it sealed and under cover before the rain started :(

Andrew

I Like that Andrew, love doing natural edge things. Is that the real colour as t looks really pink on my computer? You've got a good finish by the look of it. I find that with the grain going every which way it can be quite hard to get a really nice finish from the tools.

Watch the willow. It tends to have a lot of moisture in it and takes for ever to dry out.

Pete

Pete - the piece has a very slight tint,but think it's accentuated by my mediochre photography skills :lol:

After having last weekend taken up by car dying/trying to fix car/unable to fix car/find another car :( ,managed some time in the workshop this afternoon.Have been wondering what to do with some smaller pieces of timber I had,so todays idea was this :-

Picture281Small.jpg

Picture287Small.jpg

Sycamore,100mm diameter,15mm high,finished in melamine (to give them some "wipe-clean" ability) - these three all from one piece,have enough to make two sets of six.

Mugs fit on them very nicely,so do glasses 8) :-

Picture285Small.jpg

(Don't worry,have some cans in the fridge for later :wink: )

And built another drying rack in some unused space between the house and the garage :-

Picture277Small.jpg

Now I've moved the cherry and willow onto it,it's already half-full :shock:

Andrew

Looks like you are coasting along nicely there Andrew, as far as the rack is concerned you still have a way to go before you reach the clouds. :lol:

It's only the second rack - first was 4' x 2' x 6' high,this one is 6.5' x 2.5' x 6' high.(There's also the 8' x 10' lean-to full of reclaimed timber)
Spent the morning at the friend of a friends showing him how to use his Perform CCL that his wife bought him for Christmas (his workshop's about four times the size of mine :( );this afternoon,found some more beech and made this :-

Picture289Small.jpg

Picture290Small.jpg

Another rice bowl - I've now got a pair,so the set of six is getting nearer.. :wink:

Andrew

Paul
It's "near enough" - which,I think,is as near as you can get with individually turned items;it's within 1mm on height,within 2mm on diameter,virtually the same curve to the shape.

I could get a lathe duplicator,but where's the fun in that :lol:

Pete
Chestnuts food safe finishing oil.

Andrew

Yesterday,got round to making one of those things I've fancied trying for a while.Inspired by a Stuart King article in Woodturning magazine :-

Picture292Small.jpg

Picture293Small.jpg

Picture294Small.jpg

Sycamore quaich,165mm internal diameter,245mm max.outside diameter,45mm high,finished in food-safe oil.

Andrew

Quaich (pronounced "quake") = traditional Scottish drinking vessel (although mine is more likely to be used for soup than whisky :wink: )

Andrew

Back