One year on.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CHJ":3be08l6e said:
Best of luck with the eucalyptus Andrew, I have some that Pete gave me and am currently at a loss on how to use it, I have never seen wood with so many inbuilt (stress?) voids, had thought about trying to fill them with dark infill and making something resembling a Plum Pudding. :lol:

I got that when I first started turning and not knowing any better turned it wet. After that it didn't seem to stress at all and my kids have got a few pieces I turned with no splits in them. Beginners luck probably :lol:

Pete

Two very nice pieces Andrew :D
Love the colour of the Cedar piece,and the Birch looks as if it's been hand painted :shock:
I've got some Sycamore i'm trying to spalt,last time i looked,found them :wink: they looked as if they were starting :D

Had a couple of bits of holly sat around for a while wondering what to do with them (what with holly being a bit bland,although beautiful to work with) so decided it would be a good idea to try out my ebonizing spray lacquer :-

Picture041Small.jpg

Picture043Small.jpg

Picture044Small.jpg

125mm diameter,70mm high;outside done in ebonizing lacquer,then the whole piece finished in clear lacquer.

Andrew

Andrew.That looks really nice :shock:
I'm not usually in favour of colouring wood,but the way this is done still shows the true colour and grain of the wood,which i like.Very nice.Something i might try meself :D

Nice work Andrew... I wouldn't have been able to resist adding a few incisions to show the contrast :wink:

Andrew Hi, Been looking at your work it's fabulous, thank you for sharing.When you say you finished with Clear lacquer do you use a filler or anything first. Also is it your ordinary store bought stuff. I can turn things fairley well and can sand to 400 grit but what to use and how gives me problems, I tend to copy most of your designs and pieces Chas and others post hope you fellas dont mind. So when you say what way it's finished is a bonus. Thats why I love to see threads that have been running for months, it's like a turning lesson for the likes of me.
It's probley old hat to most who have been turning for some years but very helpful to me. So if i've left out anybody who posts thir work sorry about that. Tomorrow being ST. PATRICK's day would you all post some thing you have turned with full Instructions of how it's done. Thanks to you all Regards Boysie who loves to see Fine Turnings. Slan Leat.

Thanks,Boysie (and Paul and Graham - I'm glad you don't charge me for your top tips,or I'd owe you a fortune by now :wink: )
Holly cuts and finishes very nicely,so a light finishing touch with a sharp gouge gives a very good surface anyway.
My normal finishing routine is to power sand with one of these at 120grit,then hand-sand at 150g,power sand with 180g,then hand sand with 240,320 and 400 as required (some timbers finish very nicely at 180/240,so don't go any finer) and normally some ultra-fine webrax or similar which generally gives a very nice finish,and removes any remaining fine dust.
The holly piece was then given a coat of sanding sealer,and a couple of light coats of gloss lacquer with a light rub with webrax after each coat had dried.

Slainte :eek:ccasion5:

Andrew

As a result of a trip to John Boddys yesterday,found another timber I've never heard of,to play about with between snow showers today :shock:

Picture046Small.jpg

Picture047Small.jpg

Hyedua,or ovangkol,150mm diameter,45mm high,finished with finishing oil (had one coat so far,two or three more to go)

Andrew

Yes I quite like Ovangkol Andrew, I managed to get several second quality slabs of it which included the sapwood which adds interesting colour gradients, can be rather dusty to turn though.
smDSC01800.JPG

ovangkol,Now that is one of the timbers i've heared of :D but haven,t used :(
Nice shape and colour,and think it will look better still when you've applied the other coats.

Had a small piece of burr elm I got in a job lot,and have been wondering what to make with it;eventually decided to make this :-

Picture059Small.jpg

55mm at widest,105mm high,finished with finishing oil.

And made this during another "wet Saturday afternoon" :-

Picture063Small.jpg

Picture066Small.jpg

Picture065Small.jpg

Sweet chestnut,110mm diameter,85mm high,finished in lemon oil.

Andrew

At first glance i thought 'that clever b.... has put a lip on' the elm goblet!!!

Nice to see some variety turning up :wink:

Oi!!!! I'm the one who uses odd bits of wood :lol:

Really nice pieces there Andrew. Like the way the grain works in the sweet chestnut. Deliberate or serendipity?

Pete

Must admit first glance I thought you two had swaped threads, what with pieces 'O'natural' on here and Pete's recent efforts I'm getting quite confused.
Good to see you trying new things Andrew.

Two more very nice pieces Andrew but i do like the vase best :D
Lovely shape and the grain just looks great.
Have you turned that thin that i can see light through it,or is it just the camera light :?:

Thanks for the comments.

Paul - yes,you can see light through it;it's just a hole from one of the burrs.
Pete - it was actually deliberate;the timber isn't fully dried,so was centred on the pith to minimise any possible distortion (as well as undercutting the base when parting off)
Chas and Graham - might never have got this far without your advice and encouragement,particularly in the earlier stages,so "thanks" :D

Andrew

Used the arrival of my new gripper jaws to have a play about this morning with some maple left over from making eggcups :-

Picture068Small.jpg

First attempt at eccentric turning;can already see ways to improve on it next time,but was fun to do.

And yes,it is just the right size to fit an egg..

Picture069Small.jpg

although I'm not convinced it would be stable enough to eat from.. :lol:

Andrew

Good try Andrew, nice to see others having a go at 'silly' turning. Although a word of advice, doing less coves in the stem allows you to make them deeper, and they show up a lot better. Also it allows you to get a bigger swing going, or as much as your nerves allow you. :twisted: :lol:

Market it as a Zen piece Andrew... contemplate an egg :wink:

It's yet another accomplishment which will hopefully inspire others to push their learning boundaries... good one!

Back