Old bandsaw blades!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrimper

Established Member
Reaction score
What can you do with old bandsaw blades? Being a scrimper I just hate chucking stuff away, when the blades go blunt or snap the saw company won't sharpen or re weld them so it's dustbin time, but surely there must be some use for bit's of old blade, the only thing I have used them for to date is for cleaning old paint from around mouldings etc, does anyone have any ideas for using them rather than binning?

.. or if you have a powered saw chain sharpener, you can touch up an intact blade and get a few more minutes out of it.
I suppose you <could> do it with an ordinary chainsaw file, but you'd need patience :(

Useful for making marking knife blades and similar. Not sure what the similar might be though !

Cheers, Paul. :D

If the blade snaps before its worn out you could repair it, Lee Valley do a kit.
03j5901s2.jpg

You have to supply our own gas torch.
I have not used one, just seen the pictures. :roll:

A couple of ideas off the top of my head:

Grind thin strips down to make lock picks.

If the blade is still sharp, make one of those tension bow saw things.

These may be bad ideas, I haven't actually seen a band saw blade since I was at school, and even then it was from "behind the white line" :)

J

Thanks for the ideas so far folks, I am not too sure if I shall be making any lock picks though... the metal is too springy! Lol.

I know it's daft not to just bin them but some of the blades are 88" long and 5/8" wide and being a scrimper it hurts not to have a use for them.

I like the idea of the blade welding jig but I am not sure that I would trust my cráp welding skills. :)

Why throw them away, fold them away and put them in your garage, thats what my Dad does with everything, as it may come in useful sometime. When his time comes, I will clear up with a bulldozer.

Hi scrimper

I have some more uses for your broken blades repairing the spring in old box locks and set into a wooden handle to prepair a surface for veneering.
As it happens I also keep things "just might come in use full one day" so my sons will also be looking for a cheap bulldozer to get rid.
:oops:
Regards
Norman

Hi scrimper
Another thought I have some cut down to fit my scroll saw for some of the things that will not fit in my band saw. I have a 26 inch scroll saw and this has got me out of trouble sometimes.
Regards
Norman

Senior,

I always imagined you were a grouchy old git of about 75. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Makes your Dad an old boy :shock:

Lurker, :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please look at the rules, NO PERSONAL INSULTS. How you got the impression that i'm grumpy is beyond me :shock: Your the one having a pop at me dad's age.

Somewhere or other I saw a tip to coil used bandsaw blades into a sort of box, teeth out, to make a coarse rasp a bit like those Japanese "Shinto" ones, fwiw.

Cheers, Alf

Haven't there been some people that use them as blades for home made bow saws. ?? thats what I would do with them. I just sharpen them with a dremel tool.

Latest posts

Back