Oh dear.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vormulac

Established Member
Reaction score
On Friday I went to an Axminster branch for the first time. I've ordered from them plenty, but never actually been to one. I had to pick up a Kreg jig and needed to pop over to Aylesbury so I dropped in on the High Wycombe branch on route.
I thought I had died and gone to shiny Heaven. They had a chap there (Peter?) from the Sittingbourne branch setting up for a Veritas planes demo and I got to fondle the planes and have a chat while he was sharpening up a blade.

It's only 20 miles from my house.

Oh dear, I can sense my bank manager wincing already...

Nice chap Peter he's taken a good bundle of cash off me in the past :shock: :lol:

I can well believe it! He invited me to try the planes out, but I was wise to his game, I'd have walked out of there with several boxes full of metal and with a few more '0's added to my overdraft. And the missus was waiting in the car so I couldn't even have smuggled them home! :lol:
Nice to get to handle the DX block plane for the first time though - not putting my hand in my pocket for one of those was very difficult!

ahh you were lucky. The metal I bought from him had JET painted on the side :shock: :lol:

Vormulac":2hilmf9r said:
I can well believe it! He invited me to try the planes out, but I was wise to his game, I'd have walked out of there with several boxes full of metal and with a few more '0's added to my overdraft. And the missus was waiting in the car so I couldn't even have smuggled them home! :lol:
Nice to get to handle the DX block plane for the first time though - not putting my hand in my pocket for one of those was very difficult!
V - I'm disappointed, truly :( One of the abiding principles of UKWorkshop is a strict adherence to the principles of the 'Slope'...how you ever gona get on it and start sliding if you don't put your hand in your wallet? :lol: :lol: - Rob

Rob, I deserve the opprobrium, but in my defense my lack of movement down The Slope at that moment in time was largely impeded by the £130 worth of Kreg stuff I was laden down with! :lol:

Peter certainly knows his stuff - Sittingbourne is my 'local' branch and he is often behind the counter or doing demo's. Used to be a furniture maker himself I believe so has practical experience as well as technical expertise.

Steve.

woodbloke":3vx5n083 said:
One of the abiding principles of UKWorkshop is a strict adherence to the principles of the 'Slope'...how you ever gona get on it and start sliding if you don't put your hand in your wallet? :lol: :lol: - Rob

Rob,

you are the lead preacher for the UKW church of sin..........repent! Repeat after me.........."I have got enough tools already, I don't need any more" :D :D

Mike

Mike Garnham":vticp5ch said:
woodbloke":vticp5ch said:
One of the abiding principles of UKWorkshop is a strict adherence to the principles of the 'Slope'...how you ever gona get on it and start sliding if you don't put your hand in your wallet? :lol: :lol: - Rob

Rob,

you are the lead preacher for the UKW church of sin..........repent! Repeat after me.........."I have got enough tools already, I don't need any more" :D :D

Mike

OMG, I'd best delete this thread before my wife realises I'v'e been fibbing.

Rich. :roll:

Mike Garnham":332f5ubv said:
woodbloke":332f5ubv said:

Rob,

Mike

and for you mike the mantra is " i've enough tools already - i must part ex them for a lathe " :D

I too, dropped by the wycombe branch of axminster just last month - just for a peek as i had always used their web site but never visited a branch. I was pleasantly suprised!

Although not quite as suprised at the fact my wife actually encouraged me to treat myself.....................OMG!

By the way - YES i did treat myself and was rather happy spending a few hundred pounds........until that is............

On the long journey home she used pen and paper to make the biggest list of goodies she would like...........hm

what do you guys' think? I definately smelt a rat!

A trip to a tool store cost me more than i could have ever imagined!!

Anybody know if Axminster have any plans to venture up the M1 with their growing network of emporia?

One in the Manchester area would be ideally positioned to attract business from North Wales right across as far as Hull. If it was in South Manchester it would be convenient for access to the Midands and south, too.

Somewhere like errrrm, Stockport for instance, would be perfect!

How about it, Axminster?

:wink:

Cheers
Brad

BradNaylor":2q90osks said:
Anybody know if Axminster have any plans to venture up the M1 with their growing network of emporia?

One in the Manchester area would be ideally positioned to attract business from North Wales right across as far as Hull. If it was in South Manchester it would be convenient for access to the Midands and south, too.

Somewhere like errrrm, Stockport for instance, would be perfect!

How about it, Axminster?

:wink:

Cheers
Brad
I'll email my contact on the 'morrow :wink: :wink: - Rob

Anything similar would be welcome in this area. Note to business men. There is life beyond Watford!

Roy.

Back