Official Secret Santa Picture Thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Secret Santa came clearly labelled not to be opened until the 25th, so it went under the tree with the parcel wrapping on it just in case. turns out that there was another set of wrapping inside it, and inside that there were two parcels. Inside one was a Veritas carpenters scribe, and in the other was a lovely hand made dovetail marker. The marker is brass and a gorgeous hardwood (rosewood maybe).

4218959356_4a9e15c274.jpg

I took the picture on the day, but the relatives have only just left so this is the first time I have had access to a computer.

Pedder - that looks like a beautiful saw - is it made from scratch or a kit?

Ed

The standard of work produced is outstanding this year...well done to all and thanks to Ed for the organization.
Chocolate parrots for me next year :lol:...might even get MikeG to participate 8-[ ...I very much doubt it though 'cos that might entail the first dainty step onto the 'Slope' - Rob

woodbloke":29b5wdcm said:
The standard of work produced is outstanding this year...well done to all and thanks to Ed for the organization.

I agree the standard and overall number of participants has been excellent this year.

I am retiring as organiser now, so if someone wants to step forward to take it on for next year then please shout up.

Cheers, Ed

Sorry to have not posted photos of my gift earlier I'm a novice re posting photos so here goes.
SecretSanta-1-2.jpg

SecretSanta-1.jpg

I've had a quick play and I'm impresseed how easy it is to set, the inclusion of the scale and by its nice crisp marking. :D :D
Jeremy

EdSutton":ykxwfruq said:
woodbloke":ykxwfruq said:

I agree the standard and overall number of participants has been excellent this year.

I am retiring as organiser now, so if someone wants to step forward to take it on for next year then please shout up.

Cheers, Ed

Ed, I'd be happy to step in and carry on the good work that you have started.

Waka":2x3cwrdm said:
EdSutton":2x3cwrdm said:
woodbloke":2x3cwrdm said:

Cheers, Ed

Ed, I'd be happy to step in and carry on the good work that you have started.

Fine with me Waka. I seem to recall a couple of other people expressing an interest in taking over at the end of last years proceedings. Not quite sure how we agree who it will be, wether we go first come first served (in which case its Waka) or if people want some other mechanism to decide.

I'll leave you to agree that amongst yourselves.

Ed

Ed - I volunteered to take over last year, but i've no objection to Waka doing it next year.

Cheers

Karl

EdSutton":1c2q4qw1 said:
Pedder - that looks like a beautiful saw - is it made from scratch or a kit?

Ed

Hi Ed,

Thank you for the feedback! I don't want to hijack this thread but you are the second person asking this so here is the answer: :)

Together with Klaus K. (look at woodnet) I make these saws from raw material (my translator says scrap means junk). Now we pay somebody to cut slotes in the splines and to turn srews smaller.

Split+nuts+DIN+546_01.JPG

The first splines were cut by Klaus:

CIMG0783.JPG

We buy springsteel

Blattstahl+1095_01.JPG

and file the saws and buy wood and make the handles.

Most of the steps can be watched on my blog: http://pedder-altedamenauskiel.blogspot.com/search/label/Herstellung - making of

Cheers Pedder

Very interesting Pedder. Just had a read through your blog and the explanation of the process is enlightening. I'm now contemplating having a go at it. How difficult is it to cut the spring steel?

Ed

Hello fellas,

Here is an action shot of Ed's lovely plane, working very nicely on a scrap of Pearwood;

4218922189_cba9822df9.jpg

The flat top on the front of the plane is an excellent design feature providing a perfect place to perch the left hand.

It is true I did hit the jackpot with this lovely gift. :D

Thanks again Ed.

Cheers, "Lucky Boy" - Tony.

PS :- Glad to hear that you have put my tool tote to good use Gidon.

EdSutton":pgohzybc said:
How difficult is it to cut the spring steel?

No, it is not difficult - a tin snipe helps. A lot of file work has to be done to remove the bows from the snipes. :lol:

But the difficult parts are the slots: The slot in the spine for the blade and the slots in the handle for spline and blade.

Cheers
Pedder

Escudo":2t9g7uqs said:
Here is an action shot of Ed's lovely plane, working very nicely on a scrap of Pearwood;

Great to see it in action Tony. See Aled it does work :lol: .

Ed

frugal":19vv483q said:
Inside one was a Veritas carpenters scribe, and in the other was a lovely hand made dovetail marker. The marker is brass and a gorgeous hardwood (rosewood maybe).

Hi Frugal

The wood is Kingwood. Hope you like!

I forgot to put a note in with the gift; the dovetail marker ratio is 1:7 on both sides.

Cheers

Karl

EdSutton":20trfwyh said:
Escudo":20trfwyh said:

Great to see it in action Tony. See Aled it does work :lol: .

Ed

Ed, I assume you made one for yourself also? Any plans to make more?

So here's mine, a lovely turned lignum mallet. SS clue is in the pic...

Has a huge amount of heft to it! I've never felt lignum before so really wasn't prepared for the density. It has already had a couple of test hits, one on a bench chisel and the other on the missus bonce, she wasn't happy ;)

I on the other hand am extremely happy with my gift, thank you very much to my SS :D

IMG_2813.jpg

IMG_2817.jpg

PS Just in case any of you still don't know who it's from....wizer.

:oops:

I made myself one at the same time.

DSC_0207.JPG

It turned out smaller than Mark's, which will be nice for carving and light work. I intend to make another big one to complement it.

Glad you like it Mark. Sorry it wasn't a Philly Plane :( :D

wizer":2gulioty said:
Ed, I assume you made one for yourself also? Any plans to make more?

No I didn't make one for myself, I probably should have done because I doubt if I'll ever get round to going through all the steps again...maybe one day. I bought 3 Hock blades from the US about 2 years ago and never did anything with them. I sold one, gave one to Tony and have one left, so that will be my plane when I get round to it.

I really don't know how the guys out there making wooden planes 'commercially' do it. Looking at Phillys prices for example, and then knowing how long this took, I can't see how you make the maths work to turn any sort of a profit. I daresay he's a bit quicker than me, but even so!

Ed.

EDIT - nice mallets by the way, just seen the pics...

Back