Official Secret Santa Picture Thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waka":1fxikcfz said:
I remember talking about not knowing what's in the drawers yet.

I also remember that conversation but it wasn't me

Clamps are an excellent SS idea really, bearing in mind you can never have enough of them. :) I just think it's really cool that the hand screw is having such a renaissance.

Some cracking workmanship and thoughtful gifts here, chaps. Except I've now got a craving for a Penguin and there's nothing like it in the house... #-o

Merry Christmas forum friends,

Did anyone notice....... thats not just any old Penguin? - it has "added Calcium". Perfect for keeping Rob's teeth and bones in good order! :)

I have received a fabulous gift from Ed. A lovely smoothing plane together with a very nice mallet.

4217294796_dd020cc26f.jpg

4216528255_6985ea7916.jpg

I am not sure of the timber used to make the plane, could it be Goncalo Alves? The plane has a 1 1/2" hock blade and measures about 7 1/2" in length. Fits very nicely in the hand, with nice brass cap and knurled knob.

The mallet has a Cocobolo handle and a weighty brass head.

Both beautifully made, top craftsmanship by Ed. Maximum respect and thanks for such a lovely gift which must have taken quite some time to make. I am chuffed :D

On the subject of nice gifts I have received this year here is a picture of that lovely marking knife that Rob kindly made earlier this year for my competition prize.

4216529291_c9f643792a.jpg

I was very pleased to be able to make Rob a present in return, although it is hard to keep up with all these top toolmakers here on the forum.

The level of skill exhibited by members of the forum is very high and professional.

Thanks again Ed for my Secret Santa gift, can't wait to try out the plane and for organising this great forum event.

Cheers all, Tony.

Wow Ed, you've surpassed yourself with this one. All your own metal work?

You lucky boy Tony!

It is indeed Goncalo Alves - good observation Tony.
Tom - yes the metalwork is all me, except the blade.

Just indulge me for a moment with a couple of extra pics;

4105245083_15beacc5ae.jpg

4106010178_ff028ab7e0.jpg

Glad you like it Tony.

All the best, Ed

What, no shavings?? Ha, I bet it doesn't even cut, or even worse, it probably creates loads of tearout. :wink:

No, really, I like!! Nice work on the hammer also, very crisp.

Cheers

Aled

Aled Dafis":vfg1023k said:
What, no shavings?? Ha, I bet it doesn't even cut, or even worse, it probably creates loads of tearout.

I did leave some wafer thin shavings in the throat when I packaged it just to show Tony what it will do, so it does definitely work, but he obviously took those out for the photo. 50 degree bed angle and Mr. Hocks steel should cope with most day to day planing.

Cheers, Ed

Just teasing Ed, it really looks lovely.

Here's a pic of the Marking Knife and Birdcage Awl that Philly made me.

IMG_6536.jpg

I used the awl a few days ago on my toybox project (yes I was a naughty boy), and it was a revelation, why oh why didn't I make one of these years ago? Placing the hinge screws was a doddle, as opposed to the trial and error method I used to use. I could also see the benefit of the tapered square blade, it seemed to cut the holes,as opposed to just pushing the fibres apart.

The marking knife is also great, Philly even went to the trouble of planing a flat on the handle to stop it rolling off the bench, so simple, but so useful.

Thanks again Philly for such wonderful tools. Thanks also to Ed for arranging the SS again this year, you've done a great job.

Cheers

Aled

Right - finally got a chance to have a quick go with my SS pressie! It's a wonderful dovetail saw with a Wenge handle, brass back and a cute little mother-of-pearl inlay. Cuts like a dream, looks and feels fantastic - thank you Pedder for such a splendid tool! :D
dtp1.jpg

dtp2.jpg

My photo's don't really do this saw justice - thanks again!
Philly
:D

That's it!

Confirmed........

Without hesitation.........

No Secret Santa for me.........ever! The standards are just a bit too high. There is some beautiful work on here, chaps. You should all be very proud of yourselves.

Mike

Blimey Mike - I agree!
I missed SS this year unfortunately but the gifts are jaw-droppingly-good!!
Tony - I'm making very good use of the fantastic toolbox you made me last year.
Cheers
Gidon

wow! That's lovely Pedder. Nice one Phil, lucky beggar.

studders":354f3g8l said:
Alf":354f3g8l said:
now got a craving for a Penguin and there's nothing like it in the house... #-o

Any Parrots in the house?

:wink:
Heh, fair point. Trouble is the little blighters fly off before you can get the chocolate on 'em. Which presumably explains the use of penguins... :wink:

Never seen so many tools just screaming to be picked up; you could easily do a tool pawn calendar with this lot if dribbling and drooling your way through the year is your idea of fun. :lol:

I'm glad my victim hasn't posted a pic, it'd look rather inadequate up against this lot :oops:

Here's my SS from Waka - lovely pencil gauge in Maple/Cherry? with brass fittings

pencilguage.jpg

Another tool I can cross off my wants list - thanks Waka

Rod :)

I am going to start on next years SS straight away - feel guilty not making anything!

Back