Office build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harquil

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning All

After a bit of advice on what to build my office out of! I’ll include pictures below.

I currently have a garage with a wooden shed attached to the back that already has a concrete base and a couple of courses or bricks and knocked through into the garage.

I am going to turning the garage into a woodwork shop, roof needs replacing anyway. Then build the shed that’s at the back properly to be used as a office. I’ve applied for some pre planning advice and I know I’ll need building control sign off as it’s right on the boundary.

My question is what’s the best route to go down for the office build??

I was going to build a timber frame and clad it as this would be simpler and I’m not great at bricklaying. The other option is to have it brick built and insulate it from the inside. Size, as always is the issue!

With it being so close to the boundary I think I’m right in saying it has to be built out of fire resistant materials anyway?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 26FBAFA8-9BD7-46E6-8B45-26731081E096.jpeg
    26FBAFA8-9BD7-46E6-8B45-26731081E096.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • EBE71DEF-6F2E-4588-B8C8-057C67BC0157.jpeg
    EBE71DEF-6F2E-4588-B8C8-057C67BC0157.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 1B5E89DF-5955-4FEE-948B-4BE1FADCD4D6.jpeg
    1B5E89DF-5955-4FEE-948B-4BE1FADCD4D6.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Morning All

After a bit of advice on what to build my office out of! I’ll include pictures below.

I currently have a garage with a wooden shed attached to the back that already has a concrete base and a couple of courses or bricks and knocked through into the garage.

I am going to turning the garage into a woodwork shop, roof needs replacing anyway. Then build the shed that’s at the back properly to be used as a office. I’ve applied for some pre planning advice and I know I’ll need building control sign off as it’s right on the boundary.

My question is what’s the best route to go down for the office build??

I was going to build a timber frame and clad it as this would be simpler and I’m not great at bricklaying. The other option is to have it brick built and insulate it from the inside. Size, as always is the issue!

With it being so close to the boundary I think I’m right in saying it has to be built out of fire resistant materials anyway?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

How about steel roofing sheet for back and roof and timber front?

Maintainance free back and roof as well as fire proof!

How about steel roofing sheet for back and roof and timber front?

Maintainance free back and roof as well as fire proof!
I am planning on doing a warm roof and have my local roofing company torch felt it. I would use EDPM but I live on the coast and worried about the seagulls pecking through the sheet. I was thinking initially of using Fibre cement cladding and go all the way round each side with a different colour on the visible parts.

Obviously up to you, but If it were me I'd look at doing something a bit fancier. That's not necessarily more expensive if you are careful.

Just a random example so you get the idea -

https://www.sanctumgardenstudios.com/
If you look on ebay or FB etc you can probably pick up some big doors and windows pretty cheap. I'm currently sitting in a garden office made from a re-worked old conservatory that I think was either free or about £50. The 3 of the 4 walls are windows and a brick wall at the back.

black pressed steel sheets in a vertical format for the rest of the walls on a wooden frame would make it look pretty nice and modern. Or wood cladding. If you have a local sawmill you might find they do a reasonable cost cedar cladding. My parents built a pretty large 'cabin' and clad it in cedar which was about £600 for more than enough (would probably cover your shed and garage at a guess).

The more double glazed units you can get in the less wall you have to make.

EDPM roof covered in sedum will keep the heat down in summer. Overhang the roof to provide shade (which they haven't done in the example above).

just a thought.

I am planning on doing a warm roof and have my local roofing company torch felt it. I would use EDPM but I live on the coast and worried about the seagulls pecking through the sheet. I was thinking initially of using Fibre cement cladding and go all the way round each side with a different colour on the visible parts.
It's an interesting one, I'm also coastal and I was watching the seagulls on one of my EPDM roof sections having a go at something and wondering if they could damage it. Nothing i can see from the window 10' away but I need to go up for another reason so i'll feedback if I can see any damage.

It's an interesting one, I'm also coastal and I was watching the seagulls on one of my EPDM roof sections having a go at something and wondering if they could damage it. Nothing i can see from the window 10' away but I need to go up for another reason so i'll feedback if I can see any damage.
Plant I worked in had a big near flat EPDM or similar black roof. The seagulls were damaging it by dropping clams and mussels in an attempt to break the shells. They thought the big black expanse was pavement. Every year the roof would get a few leaks from the activity.
Sorry for the diversion.
Pete

I understand your concern re epdm and would suggest you seriously consider fibreglass/grp on t&g osb as an alternative to built-up felt.

Latest posts

Back