Oak framed barn / workshop - DIY build!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scgwhite

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all!

I've been lurking on this forum for a few months and have learned a lot in this time - I thought some members would be interested in a building I've put up in our garden. It was originally intended to be a multi-purpose building - we would leave it open plan in order that we could host our planned wedding reception in it, and then convert it into a garden room / office, a workshop and a double garage, with a covered storage area for car stuff and an external log store. This was the inevitable Sketchup model that I used to mark all the beams.

Screen Shot 2015-06-13 at 23.33.23 by Scgwhite, on Flickr

We decided to use a green oak frame as it is such a beautiful material - and very much in keeping with the quiet corner of rural north Hampshire that we occupy.

This was the timber single garage and lean-to horror that we inherited when we bought the house. I actually rebuilt this garage elsewhere in the garden as a big shed. There was also an oil tank behind this shed that needed to be moved, and about 20 scrappy trees that needed to be felled.

DSC_7284 by Scgwhite, on Flickr

Owing to a poor clay soil and the trees, our site was identified as being prone to heave. This necessitated a beam and block suspended slab in order to satisfy building regs. This was the only professional service I employed on the build.

GOPR0969 by Scgwhite, on Flickr

The concrete was poured - I specified a power float finish, but the groundworker used a self-levelling product that didn't work quite as well as either of us had hoped. Still, the finish is pretty good and we got a 10% discount on the overall bill from the groundworker - so a satisfactory outcome. The slab closest to the camera has insulation under the slab as it will be habitable space.

DSCF4507 by Scgwhite, on Flickr

As soon as the slab was finished I had an initial order of oak delivered. This was enough to build all 28 curved braces, the log store and the sole plates that would sit on the brick dwarf walls.

DSCF4661 by Scgwhite, on Flickr

Sole plates were rattled out quite quickly - DPM under them in addition to damp proofing in the slab, and a lime mortar under the sole plates to account for any movement as the oak dries.

DSCF4663 by Scgwhite, on Flickr

A brace production line was launched in my temporary workshop. These are all asymmetric - slightly taller than they are wide, which in hindsight was an overcomplication!

Braces by Scgwhite, on Flickr

Second oak delivery arrived in February, and the weather was remarkably fair so I cracked on. All work was outside from this point owing to the weight of the oak.

IMG_0383 (1) by Scgwhite, on Flickr

Things soon started to come together - I test fitted and drilled holes for the draw pegs with everything upside down, as I had no facility to lift the wall plates into place at this stage.

IMG_0462 (1) by Scgwhite, on Flickr

All the 'long' beams were joined with scarf joints and double draw pegged - there are four beams that make up the length of the building.

IMG_0436 by Scgwhite, on Flickr

I joined the wall plates to the wall tie beams with a shouldered dovetail joint that worked pretty well - it also had to accommodate a 10mm size variance between beams. This was my test piece to check the jig I made.

IMG_1969 by Scgwhite, on Flickr

As I finished with uprights, they were manhandled into their mortices in the sole plates. I didn't drill and peg at this stage in case i had to accommodate and mistakes in the wall plates - they were held upright with lengths of batten. Building this 'forest' of uprights also cleared the site and created some useful space for the forklift.

Uprights by Scgwhite, on Flickr

When I'd finished with uprights, I hired a forklift to ease the wall plates and tie beams into place. What a great machine!

Forklift by Scgwhite, on Flickr

This was a great moment, when the shape of the building could really be felt.

IMG_0508 - Version 2 by Scgwhite, on Flickr

After the main frame was build, I moved onto the roof. I chose a supported ridge beam design so that I could incorporate some more curved braces into the vaulted ceiling in the garden office and workshop.

IMG_0575 by Scgwhite, on Flickr

Two vellux windows and a chimney flashing were installed in the roof before I started on the cedar shingles - I had 108 m2 of shingles to lay, and I estimate I used about 5,500. All were stapled in place using a pneumatic staple gun and stainless wide crown staples. Despite the cherry picker it took a full seven days to finish the roof - and was the most miserable stage of the build.

DSCF4765 by Scgwhite, on Flickr

Roof done, and the groundworkers came back to dig and lay hardcore for a terrace and path to the barn, while I started with the oak cladding.

Groundworks by Scgwhite, on Flickr

And that was pretty much it! The glass arrived and was installed to create a glass corner in the garden office, and the barn was decorated for our wedding.

Windows by Scgwhite, on Flickr

I deliberately omitted any insulation or breather membrane so that the beauty of the materials could be seen from inside the barn - they will be added in due course. A bit more work but definitely worth it...

Barn wedding by Scgwhite, on Flickr

Hopefully someone can take some inspiration and enjoyment from these pics, as I have done from other member's threads.

Simon

Thats a mammoth shed build! well done. What experience did you have before undertaking the build it looks like you did a perfect job. some achievement for a one man build.

I'm very impressed will be good to see it converted into your workshop.

Richard

Thanks Richard.

No previous experience, save for a week's course in Shropshire.

It's not a dark art - mostly right angles, but even this doesn't matter as these structures move and settle as they dry out.

The biggest headache is workflow - trying to move each beam as little as possible, to save the back as well as the time schedule.

Good job Sir. Very nice building.

I'd be interested in updates if/when any movement arises. Are you expecting much?

Nathan

Very, VERY, nice !

You should be proud of that creation.

And it defo is inspiring ... thanks for posting the pics!

I really really like this. I'll be building a shed sometime next year if all goes well, perhaps I'll make a miniature version of this.

Just started my ambitious-for-me garden room project and already I've lost interest! That is very, very nice Simon. Not at all envious!

Superb job!

Now, when are you opening for public viewing, as I am in north Hampshire we can't be far apart :wink: .

Terry.

An excellent job.
I hope you enter it for Shed of the Year next year, it's streets ahead of most of the piles shown on C4 last night.

Back