Oak framed barn / workshop - DIY build!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
That is amazing, am just about to start building an extension on my house, sadly it won't be oak framed, but one day...!
George

Thats amazing :shock: Im just in the middle of my barn conversion might try my own timber framing when the plans are approved.

Probably time for an update...

The wedding was a huge success;

Barn Wedding by Scgwhite, on Flickr

Wedding barn inside by Scgwhite, on Flickr

With all that done, I ordered a load of timber and insulation for the internal stud walls and ceiling. 100mm between the rafters, 90mm in external walls and 50mm in internal walls.

Barn insulation by Scgwhite, on Flickr

External lighting was done - galvanised downlights are on a PIR and the little LEDs in the soffits are part of a deck lighting kit from Screwfix on a timer, to come on in the evenings and mornings.

Barn lights by Scgwhite, on Flickr

Doors to Garden Room and Workshop were fitted - the workshop has a large double door which opens outwards to prevent any space compromises inside.

Garden Room Door by Scgwhite, on Flickr

I boarded out half of the space above the garage for storage as we don't have a usable loft in our house. That necessitated a quick staircase - the first time I've made one. It was a pretty enjoyable project, and the first product to leave the workshop.

Stairs by Scgwhite, on Flickr

I don't seem to have taken any pics of the plasterboarding - I bought a winch lift which was invaluable. I used taper edge plasterboard and taped and skimmed the joints - the finish is perfectly acceptable. Here is Mrs White up the scaffold tower painting in the workshop, while six months pregnant! Loads of sockets as you can see...

Barn painting by Scgwhite, on Flickr

Lastly, the flooring. I finally settled on Laminate, which was on offer at B&Q for under £9 per square metre. I was worried about reports of it being slippery with sawdust on top - this stuff we have is textured to mimic a grain, and seems pretty good.

Workshop floor by Scgwhite, on Flickr

I'm hoping to pick up a woodburner this week - just a tiny one to keep the chill off when it's chilly.

WoW =D> fantastic job, that week you did !! the teacher gets a gold star from me. :eek:ccasion5: shame some of the photo's aren't showing up. Don't be so long for the next progress report. :)

biskit":1iab3wne said:
WoW =D> fantastic job, that week you did !! the teacher gets a gold star from me. :eek:ccasion5: shame some of the photo's aren't showing up. Don't be so long for the next progress report. :)

Thanks for pointing out the dead links, Biskit. Fixed them now...

Woodmonkey":2lsivu9x said:
Looks amazing, almost too good for a workshop!

You are right - it is a bit too good for a workshop. We have half an eye on the next owner wanting something suitable for a gym / office / annex. I rather regret having so many sockets in that respect - but they are easier to cover over than retrofit!

@ "No previous experience, save for a week's course in Shropshire."

Could you expand on that course you took please?

That job you did is incredible. I am in awe of how long that building will be around. =D>

Back