Now I have really done it

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pip1954

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I have been a real dumb ass :oops: I was cutting some wood on my table saw when bang and my life changed, yes you have guessed
I had put my thumb and two fingers on to the blade thumb was cut down the middle not damage much clean cut middle finger was not so lucky cut along and across nerve damage and cut tendon , index finger took a big chunk out of the side of it, cut through vein running up right side of finger (if you lay it on table and look from back )also took most of the nerves away the bone was almost cut right through .
I know I have been very lucky but it has been a night mare getting treated went to our local hospital by ambulance it was like watching a scene from casualty sos lots of nurses waiting with a doctor they all sprang into action diagnosing me , two girls came in and took X rays then two surgeons unwrap it ask if I would like to have a look I declined they had a look and we're whispering to each other then one said we will have to send you to derby (hand special is unit) nearly two hour drive , the nurse came and said you need clothes as I would staying here tonight and we are sending you to Derby in the morning , my son turned up he and my wife went home packed a bag came back and dropped them of ,
my wife was worried how she would get to Derby so my son said I will take you back to his place so of they went ,
next morning the nurse said she would wake at 6 o'clock so I could get ready to go to Derby for 9 o'clock 6 came and went (been awake all night ) so I rang the bell when she came in she said nil by mouth and told me they have organised a car to collect me and of she went a few minutes later she came back and said the car had been miss booked it will not get here in time to get you to Derby with that she went , a few minutes later she came to tell me they were going to get me a cab to Derby , and of she went again she was back almost straight away to announce they can't get me a cab as the trust would not pay for it and not to worry as she had rung 999 to get me an ambulance to take me to Derby with blues & twos on,
she went out of the room and sat sat there in disbelief collected all my stuff , then thought better go have a wee so of I go when I came out of the loo I saw a man in green ambulance crew clothes as I approached him he said are the guy going to Derby he had my bag in his hand so of we go get to the ambulance he is asking why I need blues so I said I was supposed to be there by nine o'clock it was already 7 15 he muttered, then of we go with blues &twos
trip was okay but not easy on a bed in the back of a ambulance when you can only use one hand,
when we arrive at Derby no one seems to know anything about me coming finally find the right place as I walk in she said what have you got there I told her it was my clothes and she said your not staying here you will have to get someone to collect you other wise they won't operate so I rang my son who agreed to pick me up later.
more to follow
phil

Strewth, what a nightmare!

Thank goodness you have your family around to support you.

Hope everything goes well from here on in Phil, I would say fingers crossed but under the circumstances that might not be appropriate.

Really sorry to hear you've had this happen to you and afterwards, sounds like a real performance.
I hope you get fixed up and home real soon.
Very best wishes and regards Rodders

Hope you get well soon, sad to hear such a serious accident. Can't bear to read all the details, just look first and last lines. Whenever i read an accident on forum, i start to thing about selling away TS, P/T, angle grinder (o.k. not related to WW but have it and dangerous) convert to -at least- half neanderthal.

Sounds like a nightmare. I have a lot of time for the front line staff (nurses, porters etc.) in the NHS but as an organisation they couldn't tie their own shoelaces. I've had cause to visit a lot with my wife who had a lot of health issues and I honestly can't think of one visit where they have - got the time right, got the right notes, managed to effectively share information with another department etc. Once when she was in a neutropenic bed (no resistance to infection due to cancer treatment), I was all masked up and a notice on the door not for anyone to enter, the cleaner came in chatting and mopping the floor. I politely asked if they should be coming in and pointed to the notice on the door, He said "Won't be 2 minutes!" and carried on.

Sorry and shocked to read this thread, but how did you manged to have three fingers so close to the blade, was it a kickback scenario or were you performing a cut without guarding? either way having had a kick back happen to me I know onlyto well how quickly it can happen. My personal experience certainly woke me up that morning and gave me greater respect for sawing while at the table saw.

Anyway, I hope you recover quickly from it and it doesn't put you off woodworking.

David

Sorry to hear about your accident Phil , get better soon. More by luck than prudence I've managed to avoid my T-saws wrath in my youth , and have since picked up respect for it by seeing a lot of co-workers come to grief in my sawmill days. Again , get well soon amigo , will await updates.

Best of luck! Derby Royal is tops - they did my leg when I broke the quad tendon some years back. NHS is bloody brilliant.

Has to be said - these sorts of accidents will not happen if one uses push sticks, properly. Kick back is much less of a hazard in itself, but it seems to attract more attention somehow.

Good luck, mate. It's amazing what a good surgeon can do (thanks, Mr Kenright in Oxford 45 years ago :D ). Take it steady and do what the surgeon AND the follow-up physio advises, to the letter

I would like to wish you a speedy recovery and I do know how simply these things can happen.

However, so far I have been spared serious injury.

Your story prompts me to be even more careful than I already am.

Back