Now I have really done it

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the very best Phil, I must admit when I started reading your post I was waiting for the punch line, it sounded so unreal.

My misses used to work in ambulance control, she used to allocate transport and had so many 'discussions' with nurses because they used to book the wrong type of vehicle, example being, a car driver would turn up to take a wheelchair patient when a tail lift vehicle was required.

That said the NHS is a wonderful thing.

Baldhead

Wow thanks for all your kind regard =D>
finally got to the right department went through all the same questions as at pilgrim they put me in the waiting room then every time they came and got me for all the checks they kept asking date of birth first line of address and post code they must have ask me 7 times ,
a male nurse came in and said we will take you though soon (time now 10 30) about half a hour later he came back and we will take you in at 1p m of he goes ,12 o'clock comes back to tell me the surgeons have been talking and they are not going to operate (I am thinking blast I am going to have to come back tomorrow) but no what they where thinking was to get the consultant to come and operate on my hand as it was a bit of a mess (surgeon words) then said but he won't be here until 5 o'clock but you can have a cup of tea how would you like it(not eaten since 5 30 am )I said white no sugar then he said no milk either as you can only have it black.
well waited and waited then the nurse came with two gowns called me through to cubical told me to get changed one front and one back then she took me to the operating theatre where three surgeons were talking they gave a nerve block wow my arm was on my chest when they injected me in the shoulder in a very short time my arm was dead, well do you know how much your arm weighs a heck of a lot ,
they gave me some drug to sedate me so was quite happy but could not understand how come my arm was laying on the table beside me but I could still feel it on my chest , well after over 2 hours operating they bandaged me up and wheel me back to recovery as soon as I got there
a nurse gave me a sandwich and a cup of tea just started to eat it and several nurses come over asking where my clothes were they got my clothes and three of them where rushing me to eat and drink up and pulling my trouser up trying to get my jumper on over my hand as soon as I had eat my sandwich and drank my tea they showing me the way out , the male nurse was saying this is the way out just go up there get the lift down to ground floor and wait by front door, not long after I got to the front door they all came walking past saying bye , it was home time.
What a day waited after a short while my son came to get me and he drove me home
all the best
phil

Ah forgot to say yes you were right it was caused by kick back not only cut my index finger but got three fractures in it as well .
Don't start me on hospital transport when I had my back op some one ordered a car to take me home (mentioned to lay flat on my back ) when it turned up she well can't you lay on the back seat and just bend your knees the driver said I'm not taking him like that
so then they got me an ambulance.
Phil

porker":3f1uqit0 said:
Sounds like a nightmare. I have a lot of time for the front line staff (nurses, porters etc.) in the NHS but as an organisation they couldn't tie their own shoelaces. .

When you have a work force of one point three million to organise and targets are being thrown at you left right and centre then things are sometimes bound to go adrift, still I suppose they are an easy target to derogate.

Just as well there was an organisation out there to help Phill for free with his self inflicted wounds, wonder how much it would have cost him in the good old US of A

Andy

Yes good point Andy. I had a cycle crash back in 2007. Was taken to hospital in an ambulance, spent three weeks there, x-rays, ct scans, 2 operations and a 60 mile ambulance ride home. Then aftercare, more x-rays and 3 months physiotherapy. My American colleagues, who know about health care, were very impressed that I didn't have to fork out a penny.

Yes good point Andy. I had a cycle crash back in 2007. Was taken to hospital in an ambulance, spent three weeks there, x-rays, ct scans, 2 operations and a 60 mile ambulance ride home. Then aftercare, more x-rays and 3 months physiotherapy. My American colleagues, who know about health care, were very impressed that I didn't have to fork out a penny.

mseries":2eavqxna said:
Mine was only two nights in - operation had to be within 24 hours. Everything was spot on except the food which had been contracted out.
I could compare my treatment with the USA through a chat group and mine was streets ahead of the Americans - some of whom will probably still be staggering around with crutches if they weren't well insured. Some of them thought they were insured but weren't covered for everything, and so on.
Save the NHS!!

Good to hear you've been sorted, just healing time now.

I've been unfortunate enough to need quite of bit of medical help over the years and I've used both NHS and private healthcare.
My experience of both has been pretty good.
Obviously the NHS for the 'right now' stuff and private for the 'later on' stuff. To be honest the NHS get my vote, yes we can water and moan about them with this and that, but hell they work bloody hard and take on everything that's thrown at them.
It's no wonder the private places are full of happy bright young things, they're just about to hand you their bill :shock: :lol:

Good luck with recovery. Just take your time and do the physio.
Amazed that our 'murrican cousins mostly seem to believe the carp their republican party tell them about how the NHS has failed and how their privatized system is the only answer. If only more of our lot didn't have the same view.

dickm":1c8iwnt1 said:
Good luck with recovery. Just take your time and do the physio.
Amazed that our 'murrican cousins mostly seem to believe the carp their republican party tell them about how the NHS has failed and how their privatized system is the only answer. If only more of our lot didn't have the same view.

We'd be lost without the NHS!

Hey don't get me wrong I love our nhs I've got a lot to be thankful for spinal fusion back in about 2000 and my hand
I don't think it is dead yet but I think there are a lot of polititons who want us to believe it is dead or dying .
having that said they just don't seem joined up but that could be down to the way they have been fragmented .
I had good service in the end
I am not sure how many stitches they put in but they are very small ,
WORK DONE
THUMB, sowed nerves back together cleaned and stitched it up
MIDDLE FINGER, join tendon up clean out reconnect nerves and stitch up
INDEX FINGER, clean out wound ,try to repair nerves sort vein tidy tendon up, stabilise bones (3 fractures) with pins try to cover area of missing skin stitch up =D> =D> =D>

Just heard on the radio that financing of the NHS is to undergo a trial here in Manchester. It's to become regionalised, sounds like a great excuse to make some new jobs for the boys. One doctor was interviewed and said, 'and how will this reduce queues exactly?'.

We look been back today to have fingers redressed and some stiches out and more therapy I have some pics if you want to see them if not look away :?
They look a bit rough :lol:
phil

Attachments

• 2015-03-02 12.34.03-480x640.jpg
    2015-03-02 12.34.03-480x640.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 2015-03-02 12.32.09-480x640.jpg
    2015-03-02 12.32.09-480x640.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 2015-03-02 12.12.42-480x640.jpg
    2015-03-02 12.12.42-480x640.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 88
Looks like they are on the mend - hope they getter quickly!
Could be worse if that's any consolation. Have you see that video where an american chops his whole arm off? :shock:

I'll try to do some snaps of me doing stupid things with high kick-back risk but zero risk to fingers. Later this week.

That'll buff out :lol:

Seriously though, it's looking good considering what you put them through (or should that be what you put through them ?) any way I digress, the wounds look to be healing.
Have you got much pain ?
When I took my fingertips off on the planer/jointer the doc said the level of pain I felt might indicate if I had nerve damage or not.
Good luck, take it easy :D

Back