Non toxic treatment for birdboxes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeenToLearn

Established Member
Reaction score
Am in process of making a number of new birdboxes for the garden. Normally put them up as raw wood, but am wondering if there is a non toxic wood preservative can use which will prolong their life?

I also use bare wood, but I have a bit of roofing felt left over from a shed job so I stick a square of that on the roof. Bit late for this season (assuming you are in UK). They normally scout for nest sites February-ish and take up residence March. Still worthwhile though, some species use them as ad hoc shelter in bleak winter weather and in any case they will 'mature' ready for next breeding season.

I have never used the one you have linked to but have used this which sounds like the same stuff.

https://www.harrodhorticultural.com...LQe9zXFnWnh7GnN6PiwTiatkp1oWHBOEaAuiKEALw_wcB
I felt a bit cheated when it turned up as it was literally a matchbox sized box containing about 5 spoonfuls of powder to mix with water, it does mix up to make 5 ltr so I don't know why I felt cheated as I got what the advert said.

It was about a year ago I used it on some pine posts and they did go grey looking quite quickly which is what I wanted. Regarding how well it worked as a preserver I can't really say, ask me again in 5 years!

I painted the one I made with an outdoor paint on the outside and left the inside bare.

Attachments

• birdhouseno1_green-3.jpg
    birdhouseno1_green-3.jpg
    580.8 KB · Views: 0
I made one yesterday with my grandson, it is a design I have been using for twenty years or more and I always paint them with Cuprinol garden shades which is a microporous paint, always plenty of punters eager to take up residence. The photo below on the left is the new box for my daughters garden and the one on the right is not a very good quality image but you can see two nuthatch chicks poking their heads out of the one in my garden. The adult nuthatches evicted a pair of Great **** then made the hole smaller with mud! It has given us hours of entertainment.

Attachments

• IMG_3393.JPG
    IMG_3393.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3377.JPG
    IMG_3377.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
I used Protek animal safe wood stain on the exterior, interior left unpainted. Bluetits have nested each year after putting it up.
Please excuse the " poppy fields semi abstract design",
I didn't realise the similarity to an emergency vehicle 😁

Attachments

• Leaving nest.jpg
    Leaving nest.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thank you all. This weekend I will burn the outside of one and paint the other with Cuprinol Shades as I have some of that already to see which box lasts the longest.

One of the ones ive made i doused in thinned out Tung oil which heated up before brushing on.
Have 2.5l tins of various oils from Lidls other week Teak/Larch and others has some ingredients in it!!!! but left for good while will be neutralised.
They do say leave inner rough so birds can clamber up to get out (Ladder or circular stairway?)

Mine are for Student birds as leave shavings inside so fully Furnished!:)

"A metal plate with appropriate size hole should be fitted to deter greater spotted woodpeckers. They can open up the hole and remove the contents."

I have another bird box with a sloping roof, it has a brass plate around the hole but yesterday I watched in horror as a magpie landed on the roof and was able to lean down, get its beak inside the hole and pluck a sparrow chick out! I then quickly made an extension to the roof and nailed lots of pins through, sticking up, screwed it onto the roof, the magpie came back for seconds, was not in the least bit perturbed by the pins but was unable to reach the hole!! I think the box I made above with a slate pitch roof is safer for the chicks, for next season I will have to modify my sloping roof boxes, can't have nasty magpies gobbling up my residence!

The boxes should be made at least 120mm from hole bottom to floor of box ,the birds will still fill it but it does help.
Tony

I'm going to have to attach a metal plate now to mine, will copper do or would it be too soft?

Back