Non-Woven Flexible Pads

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegtr

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
New to non-woven flexible pads. Advice needed. The current application is to remove paint from wood and finish using the pads. I have done a bit of research and there are quite a few makes of pad out there. Ideally I would like to buy a make that has an assortment of grits.

a) What make of pad do you use? What grits of pads to use?
b) Can the same pad be used on both wood & metal?
c) If used on wood--use wet or dry?
d) If used to remove rust on metal use a lubricant? WD-40? 3-in-One oil? Other?
e) Are the pads re-usable at a later date?

Look forward to your replies. Many thanks.

I use them on metal.
Original 3m scotchbrite industrial size pads are best, no name brands less good but much cheaper.
Lubricate with wd40 but can be used dry. Good for taking rust off cast iron machine tables after scraping with a stanley blade if needed.
Pads are reusable until they fall apart.
I don't imagine they are great on painted anything but haven't really tried after the first attempt. Not aggressive enough.

Gey or mustard colour coarse pads - dear but relatively aggressive
Maroon medium fine - most useful
Green fine - like a pan scourer. Gentle in workshop context.
White non abrasive - for applying wax / hard wax oil - wipe off excess with something else.

D.
I only use these pads for cleaning surface rust off my drill press and planer/thicknesser beds. Burgundy pads (which I believe are medium) with WD40. Apply WD to the pad and always go in one direction lightly pressing. On my PT I always work in the direction of travel. Works perfectly.

Last edited:
Back