Tanalised Softwood Sleeper Raised Beds - Finishing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtchucker09

Reaction score
Hi,

I have some raised beds made from softwood sleepers and I am looking to apply a finish to them. They are around 3 years old and have weathered slightly.

I want to apply a clear finish that will last as long as possible. My intention is to make them look uniform in finish and restore the nice look they had when they were new. I am not so worried about preserving them as they are tanalised and are lined with DPC to keep the wet soil off the inside. I just want to make them look uniform. I don't want to colour them i.e. by using exterior paint/stain but just want to brush on something to restore them as such.

I was wondering is a clear preserver such as one by cuprinol would do this and have also heard raw linseed oil is a good alternative. Some people have also said not to bother and just leave them.

Any suggestions (ideally with pictures) greatly appreciated.

Chris

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Every finish will fail in pretty quick time. Unless you want to sand and refinish every year it's best to let nature take its course.

I want to apply a clear finish that will last as long as possible. My intention is to make them look uniform in finish and restore the nice look they had when they were new.
Never going to happen, and a waste of time and effort. Just leave the sleepers unfinished to survive as long as they can. Then replace them as required. Slainte.

As they are already weathered I would stain them with a lightish woodstain. Something like light oak.

Last edited:
Ronseal do a '10 year' woodstain in various shades which you could try, but I would agree with previous comments and leave them as is, unfinished.

You could try Sikkens Cetol THB, but it will need redoing in about 5 years. Nothing lasts forever I'm sorry to say!

I would also leave to weather out, however the photo does show some discolouration/greening likely due to surface growth, you could pressure washer this off to improve the uniformity of the weathering. If you don't have a pressure washer a good hrd scrub would show you if the pressure washer will work before borrowing/buying/renting one.

It would appear that the post I intended for bird boxes has appeared in this posting. My apologies for any confusion. T*ts seem to be taboo.
Tony

Back