Restored bookshelf Shou Sugi Ban

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all.

I've nearly restored this bookshelf and I do like the look. However, the finish is both mat and shiny at the moment. It has had x2 coats of raw linseed oil.

I do like the matt look but I would like more uniformity. I have wiped off thorough and re sanded the entire thing in between coats.

One mistake I made though was I did NOT brush off the shine from the charring until after the first coat of oil (this is my first project) but I did thoroughly wire brush and sand in between coats.

Any ideas how to either get rid of the shinier parts or would another coat to non shiny part provide uniformity?

TIA
20230702_205633.jpg
20230702_205622.jpg

Looks like pine, and the shiny parts look like where the heat has brought the resin in the wood to the surface.
Some solvent like IPA may help disperse it from the surface to help get a more even finish.

when I have done shou sugi ban it normally takes longer on the knots, they will caramelise but don't worry it ends up drying out and goes jet black once all the sap it burnt out.

Back