No No's on projects

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tend to use a short bolt to wind them in with, that way the head wont shear off and the body cant crumple up👍 its useful to put a washer between the bolt and fixing to aid removal
so the bolt head sits flush to the head? That's a good idea..except screwing a bolt in and out to more than 2 would have me falling on one's dewalt

so the bolt head sits flush to the head? That's a good idea..except screwing a bolt in and out to more than 2 would have me falling on one's dewalt
I have just put 40 of the ones from Screwfix into 2x1 tantalised roofing battens not a one distroyed just 8mm hole and drove in with a t handled Allen key

A
For your information Andy, this is an open forum where everyone is entitled to their opinion on whatever.

Nowhere on this thread have I said they are not fit for use, so kindly stop making it up and putting words in my mouth. And try not to take it as a personal slight if I say that I don't like MDF.
If you two don't behave I'm going to take my thread back 😉

I know the feeling but try adding Floetrol as it can really help keep that wet edge when painting Floetrol | Paint Conditioner | Owatrol Direct

Also decent brushes, get the paint on fast with a roller or large brush and lay it off with a good lay off brush from the likes of Staalmeester

https://www.mypaintbrush.co.uk/Laying-off-brushes?mfp=manufacturers[50]
Thanks Spectric, Do you get a really high gloss with water based paints? I have been using oil-based and Hamilton Perfection. I lived abroad for a few years and just as I was getting the hang of their version on paints I moved back and all the traditional runny high gloss paints that I could get a perfect finish with have gone from usual outlets so I need to hunt around for alternatives.

Do you get a really high gloss with water based paints
I am not sure because I tend to use eggshell and more subdued tones, if you want a really high gloss then maybe look at HVLP sprayers or oil based paint from Little Green. The one thing I do like about water based paints is cleaning brushes and not having to use turpentine.

You've obviously never seen OSB used in a decorative setting and treated correctly. Structually it can hold it's own pretty well, I;ve made seveal items from OSB, including a almost 2m tall pair of shelving units, sanded stained and varnished and it;s a lot more interesting that plain plywood and has not bent twisted or warped like wood can. Cheaper too, and way stronger than laminated chipboard.
I certainly have seen it in a "decorative setting". Problem is I don't see it as being in any way decorative. But each to his own :)

I certainly have seen it in a "decorative setting". Problem is I don't see it as being in any way decorative. But each to his own :)
I quite like osb as a budget material, if you paint, (dry), then sand of the high spots, recoat, you very quickly get quite a nice surface. The problem I have is the cut edges - massive amounts of tearout, personally if I could solve that I'd use it more, especially as it seems to be readily available as ofcuts for free from all sorts of places

Back