No No's on projects

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe it's my age but I hate using .....No Nails type adhesives on skirting / architrave
What's yours
Each to his own on that one. Personally I'm a fan, of the solvent free version at least. Quick and easy to fit, can be removed relatively easily If needed, and virtually no finishing required before painting. What's not to like?

The dust. There are two common materials that it has been speculated may turn into the modern day asbestos: MDF dust and laser printer toner. Both have a particle size similar to asbestos dust and can be inhaled and trapped in the lung just as well as asbestos. MDF often contains formaldehyde among other delicious ingredients, laser toner is the best the modern petrochemical industry has to offer. And no, a simple paper dust mask is unlikely to be much help.
Asbestos has hooks when seen under a microscope which is why it’s difficult for the body to get rid of or impossible.

My step daughter is having a house renovated. Cowboy builder used non solvent type adhesive. Unfortunately it’s useless on plaster and it all came off by hand in about a minute.
I was renovating a house for a client once and created extra rooms upstairs using stud walls I had plasterboarded them then went off on another job whilst the plasterer did his magic I used to give new plaster at least a week to go off so when I returned to fix skirting and archy lo and behold the client had glued them on with no nails and what a poo job he had done butting the skirting board in corners and filling in with Dec caulk his wife was not impressed and asked me to re do properly removing the skirting ripped off big chunks of plaster board so his money saving cost a total rework and a lot of headaches for me if only he had screwed the boards on

also not a fan of MDF but do use it for jigs and templates that's the only thing I use it for.

I hate using screws for skirting (although its a much better way of fixing obviously). If screws are used, they look awful and you need to fill them, sand and paint over. I know its rare but if you need to get it back off, its then a major chore finding the screw again. No nails wont come off easy either to be fair but I do prefer no nails as its better for aesthetics (for me).

Regards... Rob

I think many people poo poo MDF because they think it is beneath them, and not a 'true' medium to construct with.

This is simply a fallacy, and MDF is in fact a very beneficial to ethical work, especially concerning the environment.

Easy to work and very stable. It is in fact the ideal material to veneer on to, and excellent in that respect for large sized tables.
It is ethically sound to veneer, especially in the cases of highly figured or exotic timbers.

I admit to having this hang up when I first started, but 3 years into college my thinking had changed and the benefits of it were clear.

I hate using screws for skirting (although its a much better way of fixing obviously). If screws are used, they look awful and you need to fill them, sand and paint over. I know its rare but if you need to get it back off, its then a major chore finding the screw again. No nails wont come off easy either to be fair but I do prefer no nails as its better for aesthetics (for me).

Regards... Rob
Drill counter bore and plug is fav choise
I think many people poo poo MDF because they think it is beneath them, and not a 'true' medium to construct with.

This is simply a fallacy, and MDF is in fact a very beneficial to ethical work, especially concerning the environment.

Easy to work and very stable. It is in fact the ideal material to veneer on to, and excellent in that respect for large sized tables.
It is ethically sound to veneer, especially in the cases of highly figured or exotic timbers.

I admit to having this hang up when I first started, but 3 years into college my thinking had changed and the benefits of it were clear.
I must admit I feel that way about socks (defo the tablets)

No nails and such are for builders to stick mdf skirting and architrave down fast, as well as a lot of other stuff such as internal stud walls to the floor. If you are fitting skirting that is a bit nicer and ornate than mdf then use brads or pins which leave very small marks that are easy to fill.

Just thought of something I really don't like seeing and that is where people use countersunk screws for everything regardless if it has not countersink.

Anything not from a 'high end' named brand at Screwfix. Quality has gone to hell lately ESPECIALLY insert nuts or anything brass coloured ( powdered metal rubbish)

carp.png

wont even go into bloody 12mm pine without the heads shearing off... 5 from 26 and a right bustard to get back out

Anything not from a 'high end' named brand at Screwfix. Quality has gone to hell lately ESPECIALLY insert nuts or anything brass coloured ( powdered metal rubbish)

View attachment 153000

wont even go into bloody 12mm pine without the heads shearing off... 5 from 26 and a right bustard to get back out
I just put some in to Beech and they went that way. I had to wax them to get them in without crumbling

My OH is incapable of cutting in without painting what she is supposed to be painting around, so screwed in skirtings/architraves (stained and brass screws with seats) are a necessity in our house, including lights, switches and sockets all have to come off, carpets have to be covered over, I think she would paint me if I stood still long enough. 🤣

You're over thinking it a bit - I have no desire to use it, as it's too flat and lifeless and I need to use tools that I can't be bothered to use. If I really want to work with a cardboard type material, I'll take up origami.

To some extent this statement is true, if you are using MDF made from leftovers then who is getting the real wood and making the leftovers, so could make you feel like you are just getting someones leftovers.

You're over thinking it a bit - I have no desire to use it, as it's too flat and lifeless and I need to use tools that I can't be bothered to use. If I really want to work with a cardboard type material, I'll take up origami.
I think you misunderstand me. I qualified as a furniture designer. Not a furniture maker or anything like that, though the course involved making what you design.
It could be plastic, printed or cnc cut nylon, paper ,metal, wood or anything else that gets the job done.
If you want to limit yourself to the one medium without utilizing other materials out there then thats fine. But you miss the point.

Back