Which nails for nail gun

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodYewToo

Established Member
Reaction score
Just ordered a Ryobi R18GN18-0 nail gun (18 gauge). It's my first nail gun. Never used one before... so I'd be grateful for any advice on which nails to buy and which to avoid eg suitable types of nail, good/bad nail brands/manufacturers.

Any guidance would be most welcome. I'm thinking I'll get a few different lengths of nail to cover various tasks. If you've got any favourite 18 gauge nails that can be sourced from Amazon, it would be great if you could let me know the links to the specific products (as I'm a bit 'green' regarding nail guns).

Many thanks.

Generally, there isn't much difference between brad nail manufacturers and I wouldn't say there's any brand that stands above the others for any particular reason. However, there are different grades of nail with the most common being galvanised, 304 Stainless Steel, and 316 Stainless Steel.

Galvanised nails are fine for interior work, but they can rust over time and this is much accelerated on outdoor work, which is where you would use 304 Stainless Steel for better corrosion protection, and then 316 is for very corrosive environments such as at the seaside or in corrosive timbers such as Accoya which the average hobbyist won't encounter.

Generally, there isn't much difference between brad nail manufacturers and I wouldn't say there's any brand that stands above the others for any particular reason. However, there are different grades of nail with the most common being galvanised, 304 Stainless Steel, and 316 Stainless Steel.

Galvanised nails are fine for interior work, but they can rust over time and this is much accelerated on outdoor work, which is where you would use 304 Stainless Steel for better corrosion protection, and then 316 is for very corrosive environments such as at the seaside or in corrosive timbers such as Accoya which the average hobbyist won't encounter.

Thanks for the info. Hadn't realised stainless steel was available (I said I was a bit green!!).
Good to know. Thanks.

I have the Ryobi R18N 16G AirStrike, and it is the best nail gun I have ever had, I have had DeWalt in the past (2) but they were forever jamming, the Ryobi has not jammed once since I got it about 2-3 years ago and I use it quite a lot, I would recommend Ryobi nail guns, and the nails I use are the Tackwise mentioned above from Amazon, I am more than happy with this combination

I have the Ryobi R18N 16G AirStrike, and it is the best nail gun I have ever had, I have had DeWalt in the past (2) but they were forever jamming, the Ryobi has not jammed once since I got it about 2-3 years ago and I use it quite a lot, I would recommend Ryobi nail guns, and the nails I use are the Tackwise mentioned above from Amazon, I am more than happy with this combination

Thanks Murphy.
I'm starting with the 18 gauge Ryobi, as my first nail gun - but I may well get a 16G at some point in the future.

In your experience, what type of tasks is the 16G version capable of handing?

I would class a 16 gauge as just a bit heavier duty than the 18 gauge which is more or less for finish work like trim but not anything like a passlode for framing work, it all depends on what you are doing, maybe the 18 gauge is all you will need, the 16 gauge can fire longer nails, and I would recommend the Tackwise nails they are excellent and at a reasonable price on Amazon, it will be trial and error for a while, good luck

I would class a 16 gauge as just a bit heavier duty than the 18 gauge which is more or less for finish work like trim but not anything like a passlode for framing work, it all depends on what you are doing, maybe the 18 gauge is all you will need, the 16 gauge can fire longer nails, and I would recommend the Tackwise nails they are excellent and at a reasonable price on Amazon, it will be trial and error for a while, good luck

Many thanks for the advice and info.

Back