No No's on projects

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't like using Posidrive/Philips screws on hardware, that's on show - somehow it always looks tacky. Also can't stand folk leaving window boards ,cut square at the end, rather than having them shaped, AND.....................( I think I'd better stop here :confused: )

I detest sharp corners on anything, I like corners to be nicely radiused & smooth flowing curves. This springs from my life as a boatbuilder. Sharp corners on boats get the finish chipped when you bump them with oars & stuff. Also from a practical point of view, when you are rowing & sailing & otherwise using a boat you will lean on it, bump into it & sit on it, Sharp corners put dents in people & can hurt if you get thrown against them.

What the heck is wrong with MDF. Great stuff, and very very versatile.

But each to their own. Not being judgemental, just a query
The dust. There are two common materials that it has been speculated may turn into the modern day asbestos: MDF dust and laser printer toner. Both have a particle size similar to asbestos dust and can be inhaled and trapped in the lung just as well as asbestos. MDF often contains formaldehyde among other delicious ingredients, laser toner is the best the modern petrochemical industry has to offer. And no, a simple paper dust mask is unlikely to be much help.

Silicone lubricants and sprays of all kinds. They get on everything, transferring to wood and messing up finishes. Fisheyes for example.

Because I am Canadian I prefer Robertson screws, avoiding slotted and Phillips when I can.

Pete

cause I am Canadian I prefer Robertson screws, avoiding slotted and Phillips when I can.

Pete
I've only ever driven 4 Robertson screws (came with a veritas vice) and I've got to admit they were nice to use, luckily I had a suitable driver bit from a set I had! You just don't see them in the UK though, pozi is the standard here with torx gradually gaining ground.

I only use slotted screws for fine work where it shows, you'd have to be a masochist to use them anywhere else 😂

I don't like using extremely fussy joints these days. if I use fussy joints in one bit I try and skimp on other bits to speed up production a bit!( not enough to make any money of course)

The dust. There are two common materials that it has been speculated may turn into the modern day asbestos: MDF dust and laser printer toner. Both have a particle size similar to asbestos dust and can be inhaled and trapped in the lung just as well as asbestos. MDF often contains formaldehyde among other delicious ingredients, laser toner is the best the modern petrochemical industry has to offer. And no, a simple paper dust mask is unlikely to be much help.
Formaldehyde content is actually very very small. the biggest problem is hardwood, as the heartwood of it is toxic.

Always remember, trees dont have bums, for the byproducts of it growing, living etc is deposited inside the tree.

But its really a case of apples and oranges. Disclude mdf, but work with toxic exotic timbers.

Formaldehyde content is actually very very small. the biggest problem is hardwood, as the heartwood of it is toxic.

Always remember, trees dont have bums, for the byproducts of it growing, living etc is deposited inside the tree.

But its really a case of apples and oranges. Disclude mdf, but work with toxic exotic timbers.
So that's what burr is 😄

Screw's that come with any 'Builders' Hardware , Utter tripe. Client supplied some shoot bolts the other day and what came in the pack didn't even resemble a usable screw. For years Jewson, Buildbase and even Screwfix have been sending out some utter BS fixings. No threads. filled head's, soft as shiz, heads that don't fit Pozi's or Phillips or anything in between. Id pull my hair out if i had any.

Screw's that come with any 'Builders' Hardware , Utter tripe. Client supplied some shoot bolts the other day and what came in the pack didn't even resemble a usable screw. For years Jewson, Buildbase and even Screwfix have been sending out some utter BS fixings. No threads. filled head's, soft as shiz, heads that don't fit Pozi's or Phillips or anything in between. Id pull my hair out if i had any.
Or the so called nuts and bolts provided with any self assembly Chinese stand, bench or whatever. Greg Wallace should do an "inside the factory" to show is how exactly they make something that loosely resembles a bolt, but is actually made of chrese!

Latest posts

Back