TIMBER MERCHANT

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racoles

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to buy pine for skirting, architraves and window sills. I went along to my local timber merchant but they couldn't offer samples and had a small selection. I looked at some places online but had the same issue plus very expensive delivery costs. Does anyone know a timber merchant with a large selection which does samples? I need to check for the colour match to our old floorboards. Its for some reason been a lot more of a struggle to find than I anticipated. Looking for bullnose for the skirting + architraves.

Any help or links much appreciated!

Best

Rachel

You won't get a colour match to your old boards unless you use old wood, new pine is a lot paler and turns a darker colour over time. hence the need to use old floorboards for patching - where the boards are on view. You probably have redwood boards, though whitewood was also used.
As for samples of mouldings, it would be best to take a sample of the old stuff you wish to match. and see if the yards have anything close enough. Lots of the old woodyards I used to use in South London have sadly closed, though Jewsons are still around. The mouldings on offer now are a much scrimpier than they used to be, a move that happened with the change to metric so you may well have to put up with something that is close enough.
The smallest length I can buy in my local woodyard is 1.8M so i suppose you could always "buy" some samples if you need to.

Back