Is this walnut timber ridicously cheap?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjamino613

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been scouring the internet for timber merchants, and have come across 'PB hardwoods'. According to their website prices, they can offer 10 meters of 21mm x 145mm PAR boards (approx 1.07 cb ft of par timber) for approx £142 ex vat. (before delivery of course)

this seems remarkably cheap? I emailed moss & co the other day for some rough prices, and they quoted me £150 +vat per cb ft for walnut ROUGH SAWN! all the PAR timber websites seem to be way, way higher than £142 per cb ft for PAR timber.

is this too good to be true or does anyone know if these prices are actually just more reasonable. any one had any experience with them before?

long time lurker, looking to get into it finally :)

cheers :)

It could just come down to the grade of timber they are supplying, often is the case that there is something in the description that will explain why they are cheaper than most . Why not email this company and ask what grade they are quoting you for or place a small order and see for yourself exactly what you are getting. Another question is does the price include vat and what is the delivery costs.

it seems to be about the going rate for wood here in the US at retail. Which isn't hard to translate to retail over there as wood does fine being stuck on a pallet and being shipped cheaply. not uncommon for you to sometimes have better rates on our wood than we see at retail here.

Walnut and white oak are all over the board here from one retailer to the next, but in general, walnut now has some parity with fiji mahogany, which is a bummer. Wide 8/4 (like 10"+) is off the charts.

(Just looked at what you would call PAR at rockler here - $13 a board foot. that is 5-7" mixed width packs)

wood that would not meet a FAS reasonably clear standard is much less expensive, about $5-6 a board foot, but it's hard to make that stuff work unless you want knots and runout in everything. For example, you can't necessarily cut joints in some boards without unexpected breakout.

It could just come down to the grade of timber they are supplying, often is the case that there is something in the description that will explain why they are cheaper than most . Why not email this company and ask what grade they are quoting you for or place a small order and see for yourself exactly what you are getting. Another question is does the price include vat and what is the delivery costs.
Yeah I also assumed timber grade maybe lower but for PAR it just seems crazy low. Other online merchants seem to come in closer to 300 - 400 quid for equivalent. I got more confused when I saw that their oak is more expensive than their walnut! Never seen that anywhere before

Yeah I also assumed timber grade maybe lower but for PAR it just seems crazy low. Other online merchants seem to come in closer to 300 - 400 quid for equivalent. I got more confused when I saw that their oak is more expensive than their walnut! Never seen that anywhere before
There is always the chance they have priced it incorrectly hence the price they’ve quoted is the price you will pay - as long as they accept returns if it’s totally useless but as I said it certainly looks ok for my skill set.

Back