Timber suppliers, PAR Walnut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reffc

Established Member
Reaction score
I've seen costs go through the roof from my usual timber suppliers and am after PAR AB Walnut or rough sawn that I can plane and cut to width. Thickness I'm after is an inch/25mm and I need a total of around 20m at 25mm width for a framing project. Can anyone recommend a reasonable cost supplier? I can get very reasonably prices Sapele as a backstop which might be suitable but need to exhaust my search for Walnut first.

I'd have though walnut costs a premium whereever you get it, it does come from america most of it, american black walnut ....english walnut is even more expensive

Been quoted close on £160 for 20m (25sqr). Just wondered if someone knows of less expensive outlets, I know it's premium priced timber hence trying to reduce costs as much as possible.

I've seen costs go through the roof from my usual timber suppliers and am after PAR AB Walnut or rough sawn that I can plane and cut to width. Thickness I'm after is an inch/25mm and I need a total of around 20m at 25mm width for a framing project. Can anyone recommend a reasonable cost supplier? I can get very reasonably prices Sapele as a backstop which might be suitable but need to exhaust my search for Walnut first.
Have you tried SL Hardwoods?

https://www.slhardwoods.co.uk/products/solid-timber/sawn-boards/walnut-american-black-sawn-board

Hi Linus. Yes, I looked at their costs which were pretty much on par. eg to get the 20 linear metres by ordering 3m 200wide x 25mm including delivery was £190. I know costs have risen a lot but it's worth shopping around even if to save £25 as that's half the cost roughly of another saw blade for example.

Not sure it helps much but for comparison week before last I bought 3 rough sawn American black Walnut boards @ 2400mm x 200mm x 32mm from EO Burton, came in at a tad under £400 inc VAT. Job was to be 25mm finish and had no problem getting that from the boards
Hope it helps
Sean.

Walnut is mad expensive at the best of times. I get it sawn from Tyler hardwoods. Not bought any fir a while so not sure how scary the price is.

Ollie

British Hardwoods are where I've gone previously. It's currently £130 rough sawn there for the cheapest choice - 1" thick planked sections per cubic ft. That's now looking a little pricey against other suppliers hence my asking what others might recommend. I was pointed to English Woodlands Timber which I checked today. T&t kiln dried ABW is listed at £65/cubic ft based on 34mm sections which is more like it but I've found that the quality varies a lot between suppliers and much of the ABW I've bought PAR has a large proportion of sapwood which is not what I like to see, so I usually end up ordering more than I need and cut down what's usable.

British Hardwoods are where I've gone previously. It's currently £130 rough sawn there for the cheapest choice - 1" thick planked sections per cubic ft. That's now looking a little pricey against other suppliers hence my asking what others might recommend. I was pointed to English Woodlands Timber which I checked today. T&t kiln dried ABW is listed at £65/cubic ft based on 34mm sections which is more like it but I've found that the quality varies a lot between suppliers and much of the ABW I've bought PAR has a large proportion of sapwood which is not what I like to see, so I usually end up ordering more than I need and cut down what's usable.
Just come across these couple of boards that are in a lot with BPI auctions, doesn't end for a few days and think there in Leeds bit could well be a bargain
https://www.bpiauctions.com/auction...544e-b539-4d47-86f4-66b0ccd02e97?ic=90&page=2

Could well be a steal for someone when the hammer drops but sadly way too far away as I'm in Gloucestershire.

Hello
I have a lot of walnut, what size is it you need, I have both chainsaw and bandsaw for cutting, let me know
Regards

Hello,
I am not familiar with it too but it could differentiate between rough sawn and planed. It might be one of those weird dimensions given - one before it was planed and the result planed depending on how much planing was needed to get it smooth all round, hence total confusion
Regards

Hello,
I am not familiar with it too but it could differentiate between rough sawn and planed. It might be one of those weird dimensions given - one before it was planed and the result planed depending on how much planing was needed to get it smooth all round, hence total confusion
Regards
Yes, PAR sizes are always on the sawn size so finished sizes are smaller, typically 1/8” per side so 1/4” on each dimension. I did compare it to CLS in an earlier version of my answer above for Pete but the only CLS I am familiar with is "3x2" which is actually 2.5x1.5 and may actually be in metric. No rounded corners on PAR either.

Very rare to see wood planed on all four sides unless the customer is asking for it and paying the extra milling fees. Frequently S2S which is surfaced 2 sides, often abrasive planed (belt sanded) to show the figure. You still get to thickness to your preference yourself. My choice is rough sawn as I can read the grain enough to know what is probably underneath and I can, flatten, straighten and thickness to what I want rather than be locked into a dimension cabinet shops want.

Thanks and sorry for the little derail to the thread.

Pete

Not sure if this is any help but I buy walnut slabs as straight as possible off Ebay and then mill them to my needs. I've bought for as little as £55 per cubic foot. But there is obviously more wastage with milling.

Back