Oak Timber merchant South West

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tren

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy some planed oak timber to start making windows and doors.

Any recommendation with regards to timber merchants that can supply and deliver what I need?

Hewins will deliver for free if you buy enough, I live a couple of hours drive from them and they delivered to me, they are near Yeovil.

I'm in Devon and have used Timbmet at Timber Supplies & Panels Products | Manufacture & Deliver in the UK and Lathams at Finsa Fibranor/Fibrapan Hidrofugo Moisture Resistant MDF | Panels | Latham Timber One comes from Bristol and the other from Oxford. Service, quality and price have been favourable in the 3 deliveries I have had.
Each supply to the South West once a week sending a lorry out on a two day delivery run to Devon and onwards to Cornwall. The drivers have also not baulked at having to reverse 150m up a single track country lane.

Colin

I'm looking to buy some planed oak timber to start making windows and doors.
You may find very few will or can plane to size, mostly will only be sawn SE, put a cutting list together and the send it to the "timber yard" of choice they can then give you a lump sum price, which would include delivery.

I use Whitmores in Leicestershire, and I know for a fact they deliver to Cornwall but not sure how far down, worth giving them a call.

When you say making windows and doors, what equipment/tooling have you got, they aren't that easy to make.

As a note to this I would not suggest buying planed timber, you will need to plane it anyway because it will be the the wrong size and will have likely moved out of square since they planed it.
Better to buy it as waney edged boards (cheapest) or at least sawn square edged (less wastage) . Then you can process it yourself in the most efficient way and it will save you a lot of money. If you look on Hewins website they have prices for most stuff listed so you can compare, I never buy anything planed.

Ollie

Robbins Timber in Bristol.
Yandles in Martock, Somerset.
Both do Oak to specifications and deliver nationwide.
Nigel

Latest posts

Back