Nice skip find

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be very happy if anyone removed anything from a skip I was filling - that would leave me more room to dump more stuff!
What..? Without your permission...?
It's the thin end of the wedge...!
First it's your skip.....Then they start looking over the wall into your back garden to see if there is any " rubbish" there....Then behind your garage.....Perhaps peering through the windows of your workshop...?

I've had my say and made my position clear....

I'd be very happy if anyone removed anything from a skip I was filling - that would leave me more room to dump more stuff!
Same with most builders I know who are quite happy for me to take studding and joists away keeps the skip emptier and my fire and hobby going with free wood

Try telling that to our "friends" from elsewhere, who like to scour residential areas for treasure left outdoors in yellow metal containers.
Since I'm an immigrant in one of the countries whence some of "our "friends" from elsewhere" hale, I can tell you that it's customary in most civilised parts of Europe to be happy that someone is making use of/recycling/making a living from selling your rubbish/unwanted items. It's bizarre that in the UK people pontificate about what's "legal" when it comes to someone poor, or resourceful, "stealing" their rubbish - especially when I'd guarantee that they themselves break the law in various similarly minor ways when it happens to suit them... :rolleyes:

we also reg leave usable stuff by our communial bins....drop it off and when u come back from buying bread its gone.....
only to pleased someone can make use of it.....

got rid of a BBQ rolling metal unit with 1/2 a bag of charcoal...they helped me unload it.......hahaha...
not bought a dog blanket in years....

All the timber for the frame for this deck was made from 3 pallets a company I work for allowed me to strip down.They were the shipping pallets that 3 new Anca cncs were delivered on, and they were glad to get rid of them

Also I generally do ask but if an opportunity arises and there's no one to ask I won't think twice about removing things from skips on streets

Same with my workshop 60% of materials that built it came from skips or off jobs I've worked on where they were dumping brand new overbought materials in a skip at end of job criminal how much waste there is on a lot of the jobs I work on

View attachment 160070View attachment 160075
Glad you asked permission to take those pallets!!🤣🤣🤣

What..? Without your permission...?
It's the thin end of the wedge...!
First it's your skip.....Then they start looking over the wall into your back garden to see if there is any " rubbish" there....Then behind your garage.....Perhaps peering through the windows of your workshop...?

I've had my say and made my position clear....
I had a kitchen sink on my drive tucked away for our eventual men's shed build one day it was gone ....

I know a chap who has wandering blood and I think it's genetic he's always asking if he can have something...

As I said earlier, I'm pretty sure that if someone took the time just to ask for permission to remove something from a skip, 99% of people would be fine with it......Its just the thought of strangers taking it upon themselves to go through any of your property, whether it's in a skip or not, is a bloody liberty, as well as being illegal!
As much as I share the same sentiments as you guys regarding rescuing useful wood from skips ( I have done so myself on a few occasions), But,....Please do the courtesy of asking the hirer of the skip if they would mind if you take the wood......It is actually illegal to search through or remove anything from a skip in the UK without the permission of the hirer, no matter whether the skip is located in a public place or private land.
Try telling that to our "friends" from elsewhere, who like to scour residential areas for treasure left outdoors in yellow metal containers.

I used to knock all the time and ask people "can I take that from your skip please?" but I got fed up of owners acting as if I was asking a stupid question because they had thrown it out and didn't want it. If it's something big or I need to climb inside then I ask but if its something small like a reel of cable I find it's more of an annoyance for the "owner" of the skip to be interrupted by me knocking on their door only for me to ask if I can take their junk just because I HAVE to do so by law.

I tend to help myself more to scrap metal that is left out by the side of the curb for the gypsies to take nowadays and I don't ask permission for that either because the gypsies don't usually.

Since I'm an immigrant in one of the countries whence some of "our "friends" from elsewhere" hale, I can tell you that it's customary in most civilised parts of Europe to be happy that someone is making use of/recycling/making a living from selling your rubbish/unwanted items. It's bizarre that in the UK people pontificate about what's "legal" when it comes to someone poor, or resourceful, "stealing" their rubbish - especially when I'd guarantee that they themselves break the law in various similarly minor ways when it happens to suit them... :rolleyes:

As a small part of my business, I occasionally get asked to replace an old/ worn out/ faulty kitchen appliance.
As part of the service, I take the old appliance away and leave it in a designated spot at my business address that has been agreed between myself and a " friend from elsewhere".
He turned up one day in his van about 4 years ago and came and knocked on my door to ask if I ever needed any metal disposing of.
I told him where I would leave any items and that I was more than happy for him to take. Any item that I left there anytime in the future was his.
On the odd occasion that the appliance was too big for him to handle on his own and i have been there at the time, I've gone out and given him a lift to get it on his van.

I find this agreement between he & I works well for both of us and is most civilised....

The arrangement above is most certainly not the same as a stranger or two, clambering into a skip located on private property who have not asked permission to do so @JimJay

Im a bit sensitive to the help yourself attitude that some have. I’ve had a number of ‘scrap’ items taken from outside our house, behind shut gates… I had a large foundry pot that was destined to become a water feature disappear over night. It cost me £50 to replace it, and the replacement had a crack that wasn’t visible when I bought it so a complete cluster fusk.
If I put something at the kerb I’m happy for it to go but not happy with people walking up the drive to check out what is ‘available’

I understand what you're saying Adam, believe me, I do!

Until about 2 weeks ago, I had a skip on my front drive.....I'd been installing a new kitchen for my next door neighbours and as their driveway is a lot smaller than mine, I offered to put the skip I needed for the job on my own driveway for the duration of the works.
My wife works from home and the skip was sited just in front of our lounge window and she became aware that someone was in the skip as she could see them whilst she was sitting & working.
She went out and challenged them,....2 guys in high vis jackets + hard hats....asked them what the hell they thought they were doing, only to get what she assumed was a load of abuse in a foreign language.......

As I said earlier, I'm pretty sure that if someone took the time just to ask for permission to remove something from a skip, 99% of people would be fine with it......Its just the thought of strangers taking it upon themselves to go through any of your property, whether it's in a skip or not, is a bloody liberty, as well as being illegal!
Who does legally own the contents of a skip? After all if one is throwing something away then it has been deemed that it is of no value. Does any value that is still there, then pass to the skip company? After all they have to dispose of the contents and recycle and sell any bits that have a value. This, along with the hire charge, will contribute to their profits.
Just asking.......... :unsure:
My neighbour got a person charged for stealing his garbage that was sitting on the curb to go to dump.waiting for garbage truck. It's not yours to take. Ask. The people where actually taking the bags for identity theft looking for any bits of thrown out mail , etc. under pretext of up cycling garbage.

Im a bit sensitive to the help yourself attitude that some have. I’ve had a number of ‘scrap’ items taken from outside our house, behind shut gates… I had a large foundry pot that was destined to become a water feature disappear over night. It cost me £50 to replace it, and the replacement had a crack that wasn’t visible when I bought it so a complete cluster fusk.
If I put something at the kerb I’m happy for it to go but not happy with people walking up the drive to check out what is ‘available’
Lol. If you put an old washer on curb and no one takes it, put a sign on it $100. For sale. It will disappear by morning!

Agree.
I've helped myself to things from skips occasionally. If there was someone around I'd ask of course.
Some miserable semi racist attitudes showing in this thread - let's face it Britain is no longer a "civilised" part of Europe (don't mention the B word!)
You are welcome to steal my rubbish any day, whoever you are.

I always knock on before taking stuff from a skip, if they don't answer I just take it, never had a problem yet with anyone trying to stop me.

Dont get me wrong guys, as I wholeheartedly agree that upcycling materials that are intended to be thrown away is to be applauded, but just do the right thing and ask permission first, before you go rummaging around.
Some common sense mixed with a basic legal angle might assist to uncomplicate this topic.
The 'reasonable man's interpretation' is the core of relevance here. It is reasonable to assume that goods in a 'rubbish skip' on 'public property' has been discarded by the previous owner (who has no further use for it) and would therefore be outside the ambient of 'theft' and 'permission'.
However, if the skip was on private property or e.g. a construction site, then the rules of 'trespass' become the leading factor....then the need for 'permission' or consequential theft become relevant.
Just thinking🤔

This discussion has reminded me of a housemate I had whilst living in a shared house at university. He would buy a newspaper everyday but would refuse to let anyone read it after he had finished with it and would dispose of it in a suitable manner that ensured no one else got to see it - despite being on good terms with everyone.

To this day I find that odd behaviour and I can only think that this was borne out of some feeling of insecurity and a feeling that others would be taking advantage of him as they got to read it for free after he had paid for it...

Agree.
I've helped myself to things from skips occasionally. If there was someone around I'd ask of course.
Some miserable semi racist attitudes showing in this thread - let's face it Britain is no longer a "civilised" part of Europe (don't mention the B word!)
You are welcome to steal my rubbish any day, whoever you are.
More about legal ownership nothing to do with racism or brexit!!

Here in Cz, there is almost a reliance on the 'unofficial' recyclers cleaning up any scrap. It is more often being taken to a scrap merchants in exchange for beer money (beer is cheaper than water here), rather than being recycled in the way we are talking about here. There have been cases where it has been taken to extremes, so they did tighten the law a few years back, making the scrap dealers more responsible for identifying the provenance and legality of the sourcing of the material (I believe there were some railway rails involved in one case).
You do see a lot of stores here making pallets available by leaving them outside their doors, which is nice, especially if you happen to have a jigsaw or hand saw in the boot.
If any of my colleagues have any trees felled, I usually get asked if I want any of the wood, and if I do take it, I usually make them a box or something in return.

There's a difference between helping yourself from a skip beside the road and from one well inside someone's property. As a general principle, if it's on the pavement/kerbside then it's fair game here.

We have "No guns" signs on the entrances to banks/hospitals/various fancy restaurants frequented by "businessmen", so invading someone's property looking for scrap isn't always the healthy option, even if there are no large dogs on the loose.

"Scrappies" are regulated here nowadays, not always as well as they might be: manhole covers, the odd train rail, and miles of railway cable etc still occasionally go walkies. Nicking live cables does sometimes result in Tandoori Tea-leaves, which is regarded as instant karma/natural selection.

I live in Austria and here when you drive down to the rubbish tip there are usually some "friends from elsewhere" outside the gates and they happily unload anything thats usefull to them from the car with a wave and a thank you. If I have any electronic stuff or things that need some repair I write on some masking tape whats broken or missing and give them a toot before driving into the tip. I'm sure they have an arrangement with the guys at the tip and it all is quite amicable. I have the problem that the electronics section is so full of good working stuff I have to stop myself from diving in and taking more out than I put in . It's amazing that items go in that are brand new and don't match the colour of the new kitchen !!
Cheers
Andrew

Just started cleaning up this oak board by hand on my low bench
20230606_174709.jpg

Back