Newbie DIYer here

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RubiconCSL

Reaction score
Hi all.

Just a quick introduction. I'm purely a long time DIYer, looking to finally set up a decent home workshop.

My current task is to find a good quality, but not too expensive, dust extraction system. I'm using a makita vacuum/extractor at the moment, but would ideally like a dedicated dust extraction system. Hopefully, something will pop up in the classifieds, that isn't too far from me in Crewkerne, Somerset.

Welcome!
Curious to know why upgrading your dust extraction is your first priority (nothing wrong with that, just curious) :)
I use a hoover with HEPA bags...

Good question. I'm assuming that a machine specifically designed for dust extraction in a workshop is superior to what is essentially a vacuum cleaner. More suction etc. I could, of course, be wrong!

Good question. I'm assuming that a machine specifically designed for dust extraction in a workshop is superior to what is essentially a vacuum cleaner. More suction etc. I could, of course, be wrong!
Well that's where the problem lies.
Is it dust extraction or chip extraction you require. They are handled differently, behave differently, and each require a different approach.
Vacuums, shop vacs, chip extractors, air borne dust cleaners they all have a place, there's no one system fits all unfortunately.
If you want a definitive answer I suggest you start here, as he's the best guru out there.

https://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.php

Back