Dust extraction for AP260SPT Planer Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post so apologies if it is in the wrong forum.

I'm in the process of buying an AP260SPT second-hand for my workshop.

My current dust extraction for my (job site) table saw and mitre saw is a Charmwood vacuum dust extractor (https://charnwood.net/product/high-filtration-vacuum-extractor-with-auto-start-50l-capacity/) and I also have a yorkleen wv1000 (which I think is a lvhp dust extractor? correct me if I am wrong it seems this is a very old model so little I can find on the tech specifications...)

Axminister says on their website that the AP260SPT requires 1000 cm3 per hour dust extraction, which is far more than the 180m3 per hour offered by my existing setup with the Charmwood. So it seems that I'll need to buy a new dust extractor?, however, space is a premium and I don't want another large dust extractor taking up space so I was considering this Charmwood dust extractor which can be wall mounted. 01963 SIP Portable single bag dust extractor 1hp motor | Dust Extractors | Kendal Tools and Machinery. But this model only has a max airflow of 850m3/hour so would I run into problems using this with my planer thicknessers? Could I just take shallower passes? Most of my uses with the planer thicknesser will be with material much narrower than the max planing width of 250mm.

Any help is much appreciated.

Daniel

I have one of those snail type DX.

Works fine on my table saw.

If your passes aren't mega deep like 3mm you'll be fine.

Only issue is the bag needs emptying sooner than a typical DX!

Most of my uses with the planer thicknesser will be with material much narrower than the max planing width of 250mm

You have answered your own question.

What do you think might influence the suction requirements of a tool?

Width of cut, depth of cut and duty cycle are probably the three primary ones.

Axminster's figure is likely a conservative one for full width, full depth cuts, pushing 16' boards through it end-to-end. As a supplier, it would be unwise for them to understate this number.

If your throughput (cubic metres of material removed per minute) is low, your extraction requirements will be low. You have two choices: match extraction to desired throughput or regulate throughput to suit extraction capacity.

Before investing in a new extractor I would give it a try with the Yorkleen or the Charnwood that you already have, they might be okay if you are taking it steady, also they will have a much better filtration rate than the bag type.

Hi, I don't know if this reply will help at all. I have an Axminster AW106PT planer thicknesses paired to a Charnwood W791CF Dust Extractor With 1 Micron Cartridge Filter. Most of the chips get sucked up into the extractor however; there are chips left behind on the thicknessing table after each operation which need to be vacuumed up afterwards. I have a VERY small workshop so had to build a small extension to my workshop outside for the extractor and run the 100mm extraction pipe through the wall. I had the Charnwood DC50 vac a few years ago but it didn't deal with the amount of chips produced by the planer thicknesses. My PT is a three blade cutter head rather than spiral cutter head you're looking at so, I'm unaware if that would make a difference in chip flow removal?
Good luck and I hope things work out for you !

I use a single motor CamVac with a table top 12” thicknesser without any issues.
Can’t imagine the CamVac suction performance is much different to either the Charnwood or Yorkleen options you have although I do have the wall mounted version with a good capacity.
The AP260SPT is quite a lot bigger then the unit I have but you may be OK if you don’t go mad.

you say:
requires 1000 cm3 per hour dust extraction, which is far more than the 180m3 per hour
Unless I'm reading it wrong, or you mistyped, 180m3 is 18000cm3 so far more than the required 1000cm3 needed?

you say:
requires 1000 cm3 per hour dust extraction, which is far more than the 180m3 per hour
Unless I'm reading it wrong, or you mistyped, 180m3 is 18000cm3 so far more than the required 1000cm3 needed?
I think you've got it wrong as well. 180m3 is 180 x 100 x 100 x 100cm3, ie,180,000,000cm3. Presumably it should be 180cm/hr

Nothing fills a bag faster than a thicknesser. Maybe want to think about a separator too.

I bought this - Axminster Workshop AW153E and also the fine filter drum, but its bloody massive in my 120 sq ft workshop, so without it even being used once I intending to sell it and buy this instead- Axminster Professional AP50E.
If you are in Glasgow or close to, Im looking for 400- total retail for the above is 580, so a real bargain.
(Sorry for the stealth ad :) )

Incidentally concerning air movement. Last workshop i was in( a pro one) the chip extractor we had set up dedicated to the thicknesser, was a basic jet 1hp
The extractor handled it no problem whatsoever. It only started to clog when the bag was jam packed full because everyone else other than me was a lazy barstarrd and never emptied it after use.
I would guess it probably had an airflow of 700cubicM/h
The thicknesser was one of the older Axminster 15"(Basically this one. Some folk here will know it in Ax or Jet guise, and its the dogs nicknacks of thicknessers) and we put through a lot of boards daily. Off saw hardwood boards about 30mm thick down to about 25/26mm on boards 10'x8/9".
w1873-0570aef8c290bc8452a126978abe17c0__90441.jpg

If it can handle that use on a bigger thicknesser than you're getting, then I wouldnt pay too much attention to 'minimum' airflow requirements

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back