Dust Extraction Question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minotauruk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently using a Hyundai Wet and Dry Vac attached to cyclone system for dust extraction. It works fine on all my tools but seems to fall over when connected to the Lumberjack PT330 thicknesser, it clogs up in seconds. Am I best getting a dedicated dust extractor rather than a vac and connect wider hose 55mm+ (I am currently using using the standard vacuum ribbed hose) ?

TIA.

The problem is you are not extracting dust from the thicknesser but chips. Dust is small and relatively small amounts. A table saw or router is only going to be throwing out a very small amount of waste in small bits. Your thicknesser is removing a much larger amount of wood and in bigger pieces.

If you are on a budget you could try making your own simple cyclone bucket with a larger capacity. Loads of vids on youtube. Or buy a chip extractor which are designed to cope with chips.

I use a similar set up for my smaller tools -router, sander, small planer etc but I have a larger numatic vac with cyclone for my p/t and t/saw and band saw- which I use with a 63 or 100mm hose. No issues with blockages but keep the hose as short as possible.

Snap up one of the dust extractor for sale on here today. Idea for your needs.

Previously I used the same setup and can tell you the difference in a chop collector is massive, both in chip removal (virtually done escape) and sadly in floor space as having both a vac and collector takes up space. I wouldn't be without it now although it may be worth looking at the camvacs as a compromise

Back