Newbie 1st post (be gentle with me)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscoStu

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've decided that I'd like to get into woodworking. I am a keen DIYer and have a decent selection of battery tools etc.

However I am keen on being more creative and making some furniture (outdoor table and chairs) and various other bits and pieces.

I can't see me getting into wood turning of fine detail carving etc, but making stuff is appealing.

I've been looking at things and I think I need the following:

Band Saw
Table Saw
Thicknesser Planer
Router table
Dust Extration

Not sure about a pillar drill or a morticer yet.

So firstly, does my tool list sound about right. I don't want to go and buy a load of stuff and not need it, but equally I want to have the right tools. Have I listed everything I'll need, is there anything I won't need?

I'm just starting out but I want to buy tools that are solid and good rather than cheap and flimsy, but equally I don't feel the need to be buying the latest must have super whizzy thingumabob.

I've seen that the hobby range from Axminster is probably the sort area I should be looking at, but would appreciate your comments and thoughts. Where should I be spending money and where should I be saving money.

To give you an idea of my normal spending habits, I buy Ryobi power tools as I think they are great quality but not really expensive. Actually I do have a Makita drill but I prefer my Ryobi drill so I'm no snob, but I don't really know what I should be looking for. I don't want to waste money on cheap kit that won't last, isn't accurate enough or that I will be looking to replace in a few months time.

Anyway enough gibbering, I think you've probably got an idea of what type of purchaser I am and hopefully you guys can offer me some advice. Please be gentle with me - this is my first post.

Hi and Welcome

If you have reasonable skills I'd pick a fairly basic project and buy the tools and materials to make it.

Don't automatically discount hand tools in favour of power tools.

Whilst Axminster is a good 'one stop shop' you may be surprised at how much you can save yourself by shopping around.

Don't discount good quality second hand tooling.

That should give you some food for thought :wink:

Regards Mick

Thanks Mick, at this stage I'm not discounting much - although I can't see me making dovetail joints by hand - I'm far too lazy for that.

I am also quite limited on space. I have a big single garage which is racked down both sides. The middle space is pretty much free apart from bikes, but I am looking to move them out. I was wondering about some of the all in one machines, as that would save some space.

It's all a bit overwhelming at the moment.

I guess it would be good to know what things to look for in each of the main machines and what to avoid. I did see a review of a cheap planer thicknesser, but the review was showing how much movement there was in the fence and it's that sort of thing that I'd have not thought about. I'm guessing I'm looking at spending £1500 or so to get the basics, so I want to spend it wisely.

Hi

My most used tool when making garden furniture, chicken houses, kennels etc. is a sliding compound mitre saw - with that, a chisel for chopping out housings and a powered screwdriver I do 99% of the construction.

Chickenopolis.png

Regards Mick

Attachments

• Chickenopolis.png
    Chickenopolis.png
    222.8 KB · Views: 853
Nice coup ...

I was going to throw a load of cash at new machines too ..but glad I went for better quality older stuff apart from my bandsaw which was such a good deal new ...I so have saved cash and if I give up I will get my money back if not more on the good quality used stuff.

Steve

I forgot to say, I already have a sliding compound mitre saw. Which gets a lot of use. I bought it when I did a load of decking and use it quite a bit now.

Aldi chisels are good value only£8-99 but good value. Mine have stayed sharp and have been really hammered. Also just now have drill bit sets for £7-99 German made and carbide tipped.

Welcome to the forum,

If you can spare the time, The Midlands Woodworking Show is on next Friday and Saturday at Newark Showground, Lincoln Road, Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire, NG24 2NY . Likely discounts as well as demonstrations of equipment and tools

Alex

Now that would be interesting, not sure I can make it though, something at the end of April and further south would be ideal!!

Back